Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

air in back brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air in back brakes

Well since i bought my raptor back in june i have taken it to the dealership for the third time because i get air in the brake lines.first time it happened was in jumly like two weeks after i bought it and now it is back again for the third time, just got it back from the second time in november. i cant find any sign of leakage or a warn hose. if you guys have had the same sitiution what was it on your bike. i am getting tiried of breaking it down to the dealership. the next thing i do is call up yamaha directly and work from there. i think after three visits to the dealership for the problem is is almost considered to be a lemon.....

Old 12-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

I had to bleed mines after every ride, but I just thought it was my hard braking. If I wouldn't bleed them after every ride by the second or third ride I was bottoming out the brakes. I don't know if this is the problem but someone told me after I sold it, that it was due to moisture in the brake fluid heating up and evaporating into steam which created the air. I was told to drain the fluid and refill with <U>brand</U> new DOT4 fluid from a sealed container. If the container was not factory sealed to go buy another one because just from breaking the seal and exposing the fluid to the atmosphere it draws in moisture, so use the container one time and throw away the left overs.

Old 12-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

I seen a few raptors that had a few air bubbles all the way up at the master cylinder, it took quite a while to bleed down to the caliper. They probably had some kid at the dealership bleed it and found no bubbles right away so he stopped.

Bleeding the brakes is pretty easy, try it yourself. Pump the peddle a few times, hold it down. loosen the bleeder valve on the caliper, tighten the valve and repeat. A good idea is to get some flexible tubing and run it up to the master cylinder from the bleeder valve so you can see any air bubbles and keep the master cylinder full at the same time. It doesnt take many air bubbles to cause a problem or the peddle to hit the skids even. .

Old 12-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have the same problem. Not sure why, but it is very easy to bleed the air and only takes a few minutes. No need to take it to the dealer. Here is how I do it;

Take the cover off your rear break res.
When you take the top off the res. make sure you push the rubber bladder back into the cap (when the fluid gets low, the suction pulls the bladder down)
Fill the res. with DOT4 fluid up to the fill line.
On your break caliper there is a niple that looks like a grease zerk with a rubber cap. I think ittakes
an 8mm wrench. Pull the rubber cap off.
Pump your rear break peddle and hold it down
Reach around, if you have long arms, or have someone else loosen the zerk. You will see some
fluid and air spurt out. Continue to hold the pedel down while you tighten the zerk back up.
Repeat this procedure until there is no more air comming out. You will feel the pedle get stiffer.
VERY IMPORTANT - You MUST NOT let the res get low on fluid. After you bleed the line a couple of times, refill the res. Otherwise you will have to start all over again.

If anyone sees a mistake I made in this process, please correst me.

Sorry for the speeling

Old 12-04-2003, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

my thing is that it is the third time in a couple months that it has happened and then quad is brandnew. i shouldnt have to worry about air in my brakes or if my brakes will work this time. if it was a older quad i acan understand but there is some kind of leak somewhere and i want it fixed, this quad is only a couples months old....

i know how to flush the line but i have it the factory warrenty i am going to use it!