Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Do you let your kids ride unsupervised??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you let your kids ride unsupervised??

My boys are 13 and 14. They've been riding since they were 5. They both ride my Raptors since the day I got them almost. I'll let them ride with friends if I can see them. I'll let them ride from point A to point B on there own together or by themselves. Like from the hill to camp. They do not ride the hill without me being present. 12 is to young to ride unsurpervised with a few friends, imo. To many things can go wrong while your watching them. Even more things can go wrong when they have free rein to ride where they want.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

This is a great topic, I have my first kid on the way (Daughter, March 10th). I already got a blaster for her that I Im going to completely rebuild, and in the process of looking for something smaller for her to start on. Hoping to get her started in the sport as soon as possible, she can always ride the honda trail 70 I started on. I got to leave the yard on my honda when I was 12 or 13, I always wore a helmet and no major injuries. I did break my leg stateboarding when I was 17.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was 12 when I got my 1st quad. But Iam a responsable kid when it comes to riding. My dad dose trust me and I know why. I had a friend who drives like a bat outta hell on his 03 trailblazer. He was pulled over by the cops. The same cop pulled me over to thank me for being responsable while riding. ANd wanted to buy my 4wheeler. Anyways it depends how he acts when riding. A 250ex is lower powerd if you ask me. SO he should be fine on it. Or maby you can stay way behind if you let them go riding. And dont let them know your their. And see if they are responsable or not.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Depends entirely on the kids and their friends. A level headed kid can be turned around
by their rowdy friends PDQ. Observe the kids and the friends closely while riding without
them knowing you are watching.
Are they show-offs? Better watch out.
Are they risk takers? Better beware.
Have they taken a ATV rider safety course? Better do so.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only 13, and I basicly can go anywhere I want to. I go to my friend's house and we can anywhere....sometimes we gotta travel a little bit to get to the cool places but we are always allowed.
My dad has trusted me and I have not gotten into any trouble or nothing so he trusts me still.

And he has no doubts about my friend.

-warrior

Old 12-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could get a GPS and mount on the quad and let him know your going to reveiw the trip when he returns. And that your going to stop in and see how things are going.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

i'm 13. My parents do not allow me to ride around my house when i am home alone. but i am smart enough to know that i would be screwed if i wrecked (even though i have never fallen off). When i go to my friends house to ride the track we ride at is a mile behind his house. his parents can't really see us from their house. but as long as both of us are back there. his parents have an utility so when he wrecks his bike i can ride back and get the other fourwheeler to bring him back or to tow my fourwheeler back when something happens to it. we are trusted to ride back there but his parents are home when we ride. when one of us slows down to do something, even if its just adjust our gloves, we ride over and check whats up. we are always watching each others back. i think if you ride like that, and you have a friend that will help you if something happens it shouldn't be a problem to ride. you just need to see what kind of kids your sons friend is. if you don't trust them don't let him ride with them. he is going to defy you and ride with them just make sure hes gonna be a responsible rider and train him to be like that. i hope you enjoy this insight for the inside of a 13 year olds mind.

matt

Old 12-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am new at teaching the kids to ride and our group is a lot youger, but even the ones who have been on their bikes for a few years now get so fixed on the next turn or jump the they are completely unaware of anything around them and sometimes unaware that the bike is about to roll over. They just don't think to look around once and a while and they have no fear yet to respect the machines. I am not saying to not let them ride, but I am an EMT and my son is only 3 riding a 50. I would just rather see it happen so I can respond while he has a chance instead of having an accident where one of the other children has to come get me. We all crash, it is a fact of life. No one rides alone for that very reason.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Looks like i will put him on a short rope. You all have provided many good thoughts on it. As i told him yesterday the next time his friends with quads/motorcycles come down i will take them on a ride and then fall back and observe.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds great. Hes not on a short rope, your just looking out for him and careing , your suppose to your his dad, and doing a good job of it as I can see.

Quick Reply: Do you let your kids ride unsupervised??