Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New 01 gear from Yamaha

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 01 gear from Yamaha

You're splitting the cases. . . why take a chance with any '01 component? Revised or not!

Cryo treatment is an option but, if the metal is already of good quality it won't help. Have to magnaflux to find out. Has anyone had their gears magnafluxed? What did they say about the metalergy? Bad austenite or good martensite. What is showing?

If there is a lot of austenite the $300 you'll spend on the cryo may save you from splitting the cases again.

I had the gears undercut on the DS Tranny to prevent them from popping out. Not a weak spot but, since I was adding power I wanted to not have to worry about it.

Old 12-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

I had the gears undercut on the DS Tranny to prevent them from popping out. Not a weak spot but, since I was adding power I wanted to not have to worry about it.
What are you doing to the gears when you have them undercut? Also what does this help? And where can you get this done. Since I am gonna be in the tranny I might do this as well depending on what it will help.

thanks

Old 12-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Undercutting is under cutting the engagement dogs. The engagement dogs keep the bike in gear. . .

The gears are around the outside of the wheel (kinda like the rough edge of a quarter), the Engagement dogs are where the head and tail of a quarter are. I think the '01 tranny only had three engagement dogs where the '02 has 4??? I believe it is the engagement dog that breaks on the Raptor's.

I haven't heard of anyone undercutting the dogs on the Raptor. Maybe someone else could offer their thoughts???

The 2000 and 2001 DS had a softer shift fork which could bend which could lead to the tranny popping out of 2nd gear. Rotax (Bomb.'s engine division) upgraded the shift forks and I haven't heard of any problems. Some of us have had the tranny undercut as a belt & suspender's approach.

One think is I haven't had a missed shift with the undercut. If the gears are not fully engaged and power is put to them, the undercutting will draw them in.

Probably tough to visualize all this.