Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HOW THE HELL DO U DO WHEELIES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW THE HELL DO U DO WHEELIES?

put in 1st punch it get in a wheelie then when your rpms max out let off the gas then shift into 2nd and so on. This might take a while b/c you have to find your balance point. I have a warrior and a raptor I can ride through all 6 on the warrior and all 5 on the rappy. I dont think most of you guys know what the hell you are talking about b/c i can dump the clutch or just punch it.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

Wheelies were a lost cause until I got over the fear of dragging the grab bar.
once you hit it once and see that it will stand up on it then it'll progress easier. Make sure you have a bar thats going to catch you though,and practice on level ground or some quads will tip over to the side or even back. And practice on ground that will afford you good traction. On a quad that is harder to wheelie due to low power or weight distribution,it will only provide frustration to have the rears spinning. Personally i like grass......pavement has a brutal learning curve.......
And make sure your rear tires are exactly the same pressure or else it will weave one way or the other. Wheelie a quad with one flat rear tire and this point will be driven home to excess. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Hahaha.........and check the lug nuts....i had a rear wheel come of the 400EX while ripping a wheelie up my driveway and the friggin wheel rolled right by me....HAHAHA

Funny you mention the Warrior wheelie cuz last time I went riding a kid made me ride his warrior cuz he wanted to see me wheelie it.
Well,the thing was tough to get up there,his was supposedly souped up(he had a pipe and some other crap),but I found second gear to work ok if I yanked.
i just went WOT from an idle roll and yanked the bars....then it came up ok,but was hard to balance.

After the fear of the grab bar subsides,you need to learn to smack the rear brake,so practice getting the front up and then mashing the rear brake a bunch of times to get yourself in the habit of hitting it by habit in case something goes too far. No matter how far back you are,if you hit the rear it will come down quick.
This is really important because you will eventually use the throttle and rear brake in order to keep your balance point.
I actually ride the rear brake on the 660 so if I let off the throttle,it'll come down quicker cuz my foot is already on the brake. This also helps to tame the snappy demeanor of a mildly powerful quad that has shorter gearing(sprocket) when doing 1st and 2nd gear wheelies.
Above all,its simple practice. Just start slow so if and when you bail,you're not going 50 mph.

But learning on a warrior is actually going to be harder. If you get good at it on the warrior,then hop on a 400EX and give it a try. The 400 is so well balanced that I can come to a stop and then start again and go up through the gears. Its not that I'm a pro or anything,its just that its a really well balanced quad.

Have fun and be safe.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

KFXKID..thats nice to say that we dont know what the hell we are talking about!!really it is...considering in any gear on my 440 i can just punch it and ride it for as long as it has gas in it with no prob...wheelies are easy...and i can do the same thing on my "heavy" ds650 simple as can be...

Old 12-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

hey dumb A$$ i was talkin to the people who said.. its hard to wheelie and how the hell do you wheelie. also talkin bout the warrior

Old 12-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

first off you can't be afraid of tipping over. make sure you have a good grab bar too. Find an open field to practice in and try to ride one out. don't be afraid of tipping the quad over. It will happen. Place your left leg on the seat and sit on it. With your other leg place your right foot on the rear brake. Dump the clutch in second and try to find the balance point. Once there use the rear brake and throttle control to stay there. When you get comfortable doing that don't put your left leg down. just sit on the seat and ride it.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

ok thank everyone except kfx kid u need to stop and think about that not everyone is good at wheelies and maby they are new to wheelies!!

Old 12-16-2003, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Lboy summed it up pretty good if you ask me....

One other thing to point out. Balance point.....the slower you are going, the higher it is.....the faster you are going, the lower it is.

I have wheelied a Warrior quite a bit...when I first started I owned a Banshee, and the Warrior felt so much better than that. I ended up getting a 400ex later on and then after that the Warrior took a little bit of getting used to. My buddy threw an Alba slip-on, on it and believe it or not, it feels a lot like a 400ex as far as power goes. Sure the front end may be a little heavier, but not sure if you noticed or not, it broadens the balance point, and even makes it less twichy.

Looks like your Warrior has a couple mods on it...that's good, you should be set. I know for sure if I swapped quads with my buddy for a couple days, I could pull off all the tricks on it that I can on my 400ex.

I suppose I won't go into technique all that much since it was said already, but if you continue to have problems give me a shout. I think I can help.

Later man.

-Josh

Old 12-16-2003, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

KFXKID you need to watch your mouth..there is no need for name calling..just chill dude..were trying to tell this dude how to ride wheelies and all your doing is sitting back and mouthing just like a "little" kid..grow up youngin..

Old 12-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

HEY KFX700Kid37 i think you need a time out .. go sit in the corner

punk a$$ kid ...

Old 12-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Range Rover

KFX700
There is no room for keyboard tough guys....Maybe you should go find another forum.

Quick Reply: HOW THE HELL DO U DO WHEELIES?