Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

To beat a YFZ on a raptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To beat a YFZ on a raptor

Originally posted by: poolhustler
Eric, I want to ride with you at Gorman, I haven't raced anyone on my YFZ yet and would like to see first hand how it does. Let me know when you can make it! I went out last weekend and it was a blast until it started raining. Take Care !!

PH
Yeah im aching to ride with you Russ!! I was at gorman too and when it started raining we still stayed... lol. When the rain stopped it was paradise!! It got muddy and it was just US!! Everyone left. lol. i should have called you cell.. I was thinking to ask if you might be there but i forgot too.. Next time its gotta be a sure thing.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

Eric,

You dog !!!! Call me next time you go out!!! I left when it started raining out there because the clay type mud out there is next to impossible to bet off of you and your bike. Last time I rode in the mud out there it took me forever to get everything clean. I just wasn't in the mood for it. I was surprised how empty it was out there, hardly anyone. I love it like that.

I am heading out to Calico to ride a week from this Saturday, call my cell and we'll chat. I can take my trailer and we could go out together if you can make it.

Later !!!!

PH

Old 12-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Poolhustler, I must warn you about the cam mod. Several people have visited the forum and following the cam mod, they have had all kinds of trouble. Several detonations, and several that won't start after the mod. So I highly advise you to watch about that cam mod. Just from what I have seen on the boards...it's a bad idea.

Old 12-19-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

bad350twin-You apparently haved not seen what a piped and properly jetted yfz can do but when you do i can guarantee you will be forced to change your opinion.If you have only seen stock yfzs run you may be basing your opinion on that experience but the yfzs seem to respond to a pipe like no other quad i have ever seen and i have been doing this for a very long time.

Old 12-19-2003, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

read this article about the cam mod on the YFZ along with other mods

http://atvscene.com/evaluations/proj...lis-yfz-03.htm

Old 12-19-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Dune- i have been across quite a few piped and well tuned YFZ's! The local spot i ride at is sand( its the only place i ride!) last time i was there i raced a piped and jetted Yfz which had the pipe and tuning done by a reputable shop and the rider was a well experienced rider with comparible weight! im just including all of this info so there is no question. I raced him as well as a few others with my High comp. 686 and it was no question...... i thought his brakes may have locked up or something LOL!!!! i wasted him!!!! im not saying the yfz is a bad machine or are slow....... but i think people rant and rave about this machine a little too much! My Rappy is not stock by any means and believe me its Alot faster than it looks! I think the Yfz is a great platform to start with to make a Fast quad..... but to say it will compete with a quality built 686 is just Crazy talk! No offense and i hope none is taken.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2003, 03:19 AM
Trailblazer

TextPoolhustler, I must warn you about the cam mod. Several people have visited the forum and following the cam mod, they have had all kinds of trouble. Several detonations, and several that won't start after the mod. So I highly advise you to watch about that cam mod. Just from what I have seen on the boards...it's a bad idea
I have heard and read alot about the cam mod. I believe there are alot of bikes (YFZ's) that have it and we would have head alot more negative things if it indeed was a bad thing to do. I also have an extended warranty, so I could always change it back and send it in to the dealer if it blows up. Well, maybe not if it grenades though!! LOL I'm gonna give it a shot and see what happens. If it gets too hard to start like some, I'll just change it back. But, thanks for the concern!!

Oh, and by the way, the piston is already ordered and paid for, so while I am changing that out, the cam mod will be easy with everything apart.

PH

Old 12-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Goodluck with it.

Old 12-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

When discussing the Raptor vs YFZ, folks should be clear exactly what type of racing they've done and the distance. More than a few hundred feet, the Raptor has a better chance. Less than a few hundred feet, the Raptor is at a major disadvantage. Throw some turns in there and the advantage goes to the YFZ no matter what the distance.

Old 12-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

bad350twin - I tell you what, when you ever race 250r4life's yfz, you will think different, I have a pretty fast 690 and a few people can vouch for that and Chucks YFZ is right with me. I was surprised as He!! when we raced.

You havent had or seen what Sparks does to the Cam mod then on the YFZ, its a great jump in HP, and have never seen such jump with any mod in any bike ever.

Quick Reply: To beat a YFZ on a raptor