Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Easiest way to pull Raptor Engine out of frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 06:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest way to pull Raptor Engine out of frame

It might not be the "right" way, but I just loosened the bolt that goes through the little reverse actuator and turned it backwards until I could remove the cable like normal.

Personally I would take the nerfs off anyway, just to give you more room to get the motor out. It might take a little more time to take them off, but it might save you some head ache trying to roll the motor out. I have to take mine off because they mount to the lower front engine mount, but it seems like it would be easier without them.

I see that oil line Bartlett and Ward are talking about. Doesn't look bad but. . .
With a stubby allen, like bad660r was saying, it shouldn't be to bad. Or leave it connected like Bartlett said.....why didn't I do that the first time though....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
Started on it tonight. Dang, my buddy has nerf bars. . . not sure if I will have to remove one side of them to get the sprocket cover off. That bottom allen on the countersprocket chain guard look like a pain in the A$$.
yeah the chainguard/case saver is a Bi@tch to get off with the foot peg/nerfs in place
I always drop the foot peg.......

Old 12-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gotta drop the footpeg to get to the allen bolt on the sprocket cover, unless he has an after market shift lever. The linkage on the stocker is whats in the way. As for the reverse lever you should be able to pull the actuator arm by hand and remove the cable if memory serves. It'll be a tight squeeze getting the whole engine out of the frame but it'll come out. Yes, Raptortranny.com does go through the steps of removing the motor from the frame. He took the head and cylinder off first, but you can skip that part.

Old 12-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Got it out yesterday afternoon. Total time was probably about 3 hours.

Had to use my impact driver to get the little screw off the neutral sender (I know, could have taken it off from above.)

I did the oil line the way Bartlett said. I did try cutting an allen but, after turning a couple times deciced to do it his way.

My buddy's coolant was nasty dirty. Weird because it was apart only a year ago so, wouldn't think he would see rust that quickly.

I didn't remove the lower front engine mounts from the frame but, I think I'll take them off before I get the engine back in then once the engine is in place, bolt them back up. Wasn't too tough to get it out but, did take a little jocky work.

My builder will pick up the engine this afternoon. Parts should arrive by the 30th at his place so, with any luck I'll be putting it back in on the 3rd!

How many hours labor should I expect for tear down and re-assembly of the engine?

Oh, I looked at the exhaust valves and it appears their is a white skale build-up on the valve stems [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I'll have to break the news to my buddy that he may need some valve work.

He has a CT Sonic pipe and I didn't see any exhaust gaskets in the head. Do these pipes not need the exhaust gaskets?

Old 12-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BartlettRacing

just think !!! if you were a gynocolgst (spelling) you could rebuild it through the sparkplug hole !!!!!!
LMFAO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]