Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior rear end problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2000 | 08:48 AM
|
Trailblazer

I was out riding my warrior yesterday, as I was loading it back on my truck I noticed that the nut had fallen off the top bolt on the rear end, the one you loosen to adjust the chain. since I"ve had my warrior (only a month), that nut NEVER stays tight. It acctually backed out a bit and was rubbing the sprocket, luckily it didn't back out enough to get caught in the sprocket. so we found the closet nut we could and put it on, it was really tight, prob cross threaded, but maybe it is good it is so tight and cross threaded, maybe it won't back off now. It might be a prob. next time I have to adjust the chain!!

Also those two big axle nuts won't stay tight either, they where VERY loose yesterday, we tightened those as tight as we could with a pipe wrench, and my friend said to wrap electrical tape around them, I didn't ask him why as I don't see how that will help, maybe I will try it.

My friend used to have a Banshe and said he had the same problems I'm having (thats one of the reasons he has a 250r now!!)

The thing that gets me is that last week I took my warrior back to the dealer where I got it and I watched/helped the mechanic tighten up the whole rear end, I mean everything, ajust chain, tighten rear spindles, tighten axle nuts, and he really CRANKED on everything, and it came loose the fist time I rode it (I was riding pretty hard yesterday, but this shouldn't have happened)

Any suggetions for me?? Is there anything I can do to solve these problems or is it just something I will have to keep an eye on and deal with??

Please help!!

Old 06-25-2000 | 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

That's strange..I have never had that happen on my Warrior in the 3 years I've had it. I think I would get an entire new bolt & nut if it is just the top axle one that is loosening. , either from Yamaha or the hardware store if they have the right size. It's a 17mm. You could also try to find a lock nut for the bolt or use some Loctite in blue, not red. It sounds like the threads on either the bolt, nut, or both were not cut correctly and altho they will tighten, do not mate correctly & loosen.

Old 06-26-2000 | 08:35 PM
|
Trailblazer

here's my problem, whatcha think??

Old 06-27-2000 | 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

dondiesel8
Im not sure why your nuts are loose (he he he) but if you clean the threads well with a solvent that evaporates like brake clean even inside the nut. Then use loctite (blue which is removeable) on them they should not come loose again. Do this on the axle nuts as well. You can wrap the axle nuts with duct tape tightly also believe it or not it does help. Good Luck

To become a NYTRO member cotact;
Dell @ 607-699-0522 or
Mike harder @ pokerrun2000@yahoo.com or
Al McKensie @ 716-366-6146

98 SC 500