Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help!! It won't STOP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! It won't STOP!!

Alright guys the other day I adjusted the valves on the raptor, and I have since had two resultant problems. One.......it won't start! I think I figured it out as my Father in-law told me he thinks its on the wrong stroke [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] doh! But the biggest concern is that I pressed the starter button to turn it over, and now it won't stop trying to crank. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I finally had to disconnect the battery just to stop it. I'm gonna take apart the switch cluster to see if anything is sticking inside, but have any of you ever had this problem? I guess I have my work cut out for me today......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

Bryan... I have saw that problem before, but never on an atv. What I saw it on was Harleys and a Volvo rock truck. What caused it on those was low battery voltage. I'm not sure why but its like when the battery is low the solenoid sticks. One theory I had was that where the battery was low it made the solenoid engage slower, letting it arc some as its engaging, causing the brass terminals (in the solenoid) to kinda weld together. I don't know for sure but I would make sure my battery was good and hot and try again before I tore anything apart. Hope this helps ya. Good luck with it and let us know what you find out about it.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Well thats interesting shasta... I would have never thought that could be a problem?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I'll check that out too. If anyone else has helpful ideas like shasta's I'd appreciate it. I'm fairly decent at mechanical problems, but electrical is a different ballpark to me.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

My raptor did that once, I replaced the starter relay behind the CDI and it has been problem free since. It actually didnt do it again after unhooking the battery but I replaced the relay anyhow a few days later.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is funny, cuz I had the same problem before when my one way was going out. The starter stayed ingaged while the motor started and had to shut the bike off by the key. But if your doing this and it still dont shut off, I would take Shastadog's advice and charge that battery. I have seen that also on vehicles as well.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Update:

Problem solved guys. I took apart the switch cluster on the bars, cleaned it all out, and sprayed it with contact cleaner. I also had to replace one of the fuses that blew from all the stress. It was all dirty and dusty in there. I can't believe its not sealed up better than that in there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I need to get ahold of a battery tester though as I'd like to test the battery too.

As for it not wanting to start my father-inlaw was right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I had it at the wrong TDC. I turned it one more revolution, and the valves were WAY off. So I adjusted them bac... again.... and fired her up. All is well again! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Now I'm ready to ride tomarrow. Hope everyone has a good weekend, and thanks for all your help/comments.