Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior opinons needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior opinons needed

i have a 99 warrior, i plan to keep for awhile. My axle bearing carrier was smoked when bearings when out in no mans land. i want to get a new bearing carrier that i can greese bearings easier.(with zurk,zurb, or whatever the heck they are called.) what brand would you suggest. the only one i have seen is made by rad, although white bros makes on too. what do you think?

Old 01-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think they're prolly the same product your just paying for the name but I could be wrong. But most of the time Companies use the same product and put their name on it.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

get the stock one ...... take that pipe out that is in the carrier drill a hole and put a grease fitting on the carrier

Old 01-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Back in the Warrior days, I opted to purchase a RAD with the Tapered bearings. Seemed to hold up just fine. Once I switched, I never had a problem.

Ride On.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 95Wolverine
Back in the Warrior days, I opted to purchase a RAD with the Tapered bearings. Seemed to hold up just fine. Once I switched, I never had a problem.

Ride On.
I believe that but the better results were from the bearings themselves more than anything else.

The ball bearing used in the rear carriers of most every quad (at least everyone I know of or have worked on) are not really the right bearing for the application. What the problem with them is that these are what is called a thin section ball bearing and in making them thinner (id to od not width) they have to be manufactured with a smaller groove that the ***** roll in. What this does is take away from the contact area that the ball bearings have to work with and when you reduce this the bearing will only be able to take a limited amount of side load.

Well the forces of a quad turning at speed and the many other things we do that push the axle towards the carrier in a linear motion are beyond the abilities of the bearing. Sure it can handle it for awhile and without any contamination (read that as not riding in dust or water since it can and does get past the seals once the bearings start to wear the everythin moves around more) it will last a very long while, but once it gets contaminated the effects of the overstressed amounts of force are going to wear it down real fast.

Now the taper bearings are made for the side loads we see and will last much longer even if some water gets into the grease but keeping them clean will extend their life as well.

The only problem with the taper bearings is setting the preloads correctly. This can change from each set up and the very fact that most of these were disigned or picked by a sales company to fix a problem and the application was not put to the bearing mfg to set up all the specs on the preloads etc just scares me and is like looking for trouble, but with just the more appropiate design of the taper bearing to this application it seems there are very few problems with them.

Only draw back is price and some applications where chain adjustment is limited.

A grease zerk most times is nothing more than a new part to break off the quad and to give you something to do. The problem is that without the carrier and or the swing arm being set up or designed with any grease grooves how does it get to where its needed (in the bearing) and not just build up inside the open areas of the swingarm and carrier. To properly grease a bearing you need to be able to put grease into the proper places in the bearing and also have the new grease "purge" out the old grease or you end up with a bearing that is overpacked and will heat up and fail prematurely.

So a regreaseble carrier is great if you can actually get the grease where its needed, and if you cant its just a novelty.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Ooops forgot to mention dbl row ball bearings.

These fill the gap between the single row and taper bearings. Most all popular dbl row bearings are designed in a way that the race ways are taller on one side of where the ball rides and this allows it to handle larger side or axial loads.

They still dont have the capacity of the taper roller but are not going to affect the chain adjustments, dont need any preload settings etc, are less expensive, have a much higer max rpm and are just easier to install in general.

There are currently a few aftermarket companies that have "new" specialy designed taper bearings to fit directly into current aftermarket dbl row bearing carriers. I have not heard of them being sold to the general ATV public but I know they have them.

These are very good because they address the problems with all three designs and supposedly do not hamper the chain adjustment.

When I should get more info on them or even have them avail I will pass on the info.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

i would get the RAD i have one on my 1990 LT250R and i haven't had any problems with it

Old 01-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

i called super charged mfg. and ihave decieded to go with the RAD with tappered bearings, thanks for all your input.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

i just finished pounding out my axle..where can i order some online?

Old 01-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

If you are talking about RAD carriers you can find them on Ebay or Motojoe

Quick Reply: warrior opinons needed