Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Very good Dirtwheels review of the 450R....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very good Dirtwheels review of the 450R....

dirtwheels is a sh!tty magazine all together...

Old 01-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

You got everything backwards. Honda released the 400ex in 98 and that thing had no problems at all!
Yamaha on the other hand released the raptor without alot of testing and now we got alot of Honda, bombardier, or suzuki owners (former raptor owners lol) that bad mouth yamaha because they didnt help them fix there blown trannys along with quite a few other things. Im not very brand loyal but I had experiance with hondas and they are super reliable. Yamaha though is always bringing new technology and really cool bikes IE banshee in 87, raptor 01 and now the YFZ 04.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yamaha660R
The ATV Sports buyers guide rated the YFZ the ultimate quad. Rated it highest in every category. The TRX450R came in second, and the Predaturd 3. LOL. Raptor was 4th, and DS was 5th. Z400 6th.They were rated in MX, Wood Racing, Trail Riding, Dunes, Desert, and one other. The YFZ was rated top in all categories. The 450R was down one on MX, Dune, Desert.The Raptor was down on MX and Wood Racing, but high on Desert, Dune, and tops in Trail Riding.The Predaturd was rated high throughout most all categories other then Dune/Desert(and even those were high). I did notice several Predator ad's in the book. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]The Z400/DVX 400/KFX400 was all rated the same, and pretty good. The DS was rated pretty high on Desert/Dune, and decent on the other categories.This was the ATV Sport 2004 Buyers Guide. Picked it up today at a 7-11 on my way back from the dealer. A REV Magazine was included, talked about a couple differnt dirt bikes and mod's for them. Pretty cool magazine.
they didnt rank them... i dont think.. and i couldnt find the trx in there anywhere.. i cant find it the magazine (lost somewhere in my house).. but ill keep looking...

Old 01-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

Did you notice they rated virtually EVERY honda 4 stroke better than ANY yamaha? A 300ex beats a Raptor in the top 20 all time quads? Raptor not even mentioned? Come on.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

They didn't rank them in a 1...2....3...and so forth order.

But you can tell how to rank them by the ratings on each option. The YFZ is maxxed out on every subject.

The TRX is maxxed out on everything but the MX and the Dunes.

The Predator is way up on everything. Maxxed out on a couple.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Range Rover

The thing that got me the most about that 450R review was the little "by line" at the beginning.... By the "Better Red than Dead" staff of Dirt Wheels. I don't know if that was a joke or not but I some how doubt it. I just recently started reading dirt wheels so I don't know any kind of history they have like this but I was pretty shocked when I saw that.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Wait til you see the March issue of ATV Sport. A shootout w/ the Raptor (notice I spelled it like an adult), the DS, V-force, and the Predator (660R, you'll also notice I spelled this like an adult). You also get a review of Honda's 450 complete w/ the seat and airbox off, and the front snout off....that's to get a better look....hmmm, don't remember that other magazine doing that. hehe. Also a nifty modded YFZ, a 530 KTM, 370 Shee, and a 330R. Now who's your daddy!?

Any gear or gadgets you want tested, PM me.

ATV Connection.com become a supporting member today, that way you can exchange your ATV ideas tomorrow. ATV news.com to subscribe to ATV Sport. Support the performance minded people doing their best to keep you informed.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Its all about politics, and who forks out the most amount of cash. Thats who wins the top spot in Dirt Wheels.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Range Rover

Just another thought on Dirt Wheels though, I think most people like the magazine because of the huge sections they devote to reader submission photo's. Know it all types might scoff at someone who just enjoys looking at pictures that people send in but I usually look at every single one of them before I read any articles. ATVSport is a great magazine but it only ships 10 mags a year and each one is half the size of Dirt Wheels (Yes I know the extra pages in Dirt Wheels are most likely ads). Dirt Wheels is just more of a catch all type magazine and they seem geared towards capturing the widest demographic of ATV rider.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

Hey modquad, What can U tell me about what ATV mag said about 530KTM. I've got a 520 KTM in aftermarket frame and close to getting it modded! THX

Quick Reply: Very good Dirtwheels review of the 450R....