Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 04:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine cutting out

Hey any serious tech guys out help me out with this, i have a 99 wolverine with 25 inch big foot kit. When climbing hills & seems like if i wind it out or or run it tight it will cut out. Is this in the ignition rev limiter? can i by-pass this?

Old 01-07-2004, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

mine seems to do something similar. Every since I put the pipe on it seems to cut out at the higher RPMs. I really don't think the jetting is off. I have thought it may be the valves floating out because of the free flowing pipe. I'm am not sure that they have a top end rev limiter. I know I had never hit it before the pipe. Mine runs so good untill the very tip top of the RPM range that I haven't worried about it much. I have been planing so other mods this winter so I'll have to re-jet then. Let us know what you find out about it.

Old 01-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Its hard to really say whats wrong without knowing the extent of the cutting out. But cyclecrash, if you dont have any other modifications other than those tires I would say that their is a 99% chfance that you have either dirt or foreign mafterial in your fuel system or you have the parking brake problem that so many other wolverine owners are plagued with. Yes I know you're thinking what does the parking brake have to do with any of this? Well I dont know all there is to know about this problem because its never really happened to me, but someone will reply and take it further.

Niether one of you guys are hitting the rev limiter on the top end because there isnt one. The RPMS are dictated by the amout of air that you can flow through the head. Warriors and Wolverines rev as high as you have the mods to make them.

Shastadog, you may have jetting problems because you modified your bike, but I would still clean the fuel system before changed jets.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have you checked the float level? If its low, itll cause symptoms like that.
some other things to check,weak valve springs, spark plug gap too small, dirty air cleaner, plugged or resticted fuel line.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Warriors and Wolverines do have a rev limiter. It is set very high but can be hit when running moderate modifications to allow the engine to breath. The only way of bypassing this limiter that I know of is to buy a new CDI with a higher rev setting.

If you bike is cutting out evenly and sounds like it is having the cylinder miss at even intervals, you are probably hitting the rev limiter. If it is an uneven coughing action, you jetting is off and you need to adjust your main jet. Keep in mind when jetting, the main pilot jets control the first quarter of your throttle, the needle clip setting controls the next two quarters and the main jet controls the top quarter.

~HoundDog

Old 01-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

wolverines do have a rev limiter. It is cutting evening on the high end, i have checked the float , valves & the parking brake is discconected. Even Yamaha confirm i am hitting the rev limiter on the high end, they don't want to tell me how to by-pass it. Anyone know of a good after market cdi to install???

Old 01-08-2004, 06:49 AM
Pro Rider

Rev limiter!!?? I'm getting yes and no answers here. It would be easy to beleive that they do have one, But the minor mods I have made shouldn't have made that much difference. Before I had made the mods I had never hit it. Even 5th wfo on down grade blacktop, with it running at top speed before starting down grade. I am sure I would have over reved it there. Then also I think my jetting is very close, one change to the clip OR one change jet size either up or down and it doesn't run as well. It sure seems like a rev limiter to me.
SpeedDemon...Maybe you could ask Mickey? No offense pal... Just looking for a 100% answer.
Hounddog....No offense either...just wondering how ya heard of the rev limiter?
cycletrash98....No offense intended to you either....But if your Yammy dealer is like mine, (ask them for a jet and they tell ya the airport is about 10 miles south) it would be hard to put faith in them as well. The Wolvy does have a parking brake rev limiter this could be what your dealer is speaking of.

WOLVERINE TOP-END REV LIMITERS??? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

ShastaDog,

I "heard" of a wolverine rev limiter because I used to ride a very highly modified warrior and still own a moderately modified wolverine. Both are capable of hitting the rev limiter. If that's not enough for you, check the parts manuals. The warrior and wolverine both use the same model number cdi which has the rev limiter causing your probs.

You mentioned not wanting to believe that your light mods could make the bike hit the limiter but you must realize that these motors are majorly choked from the factory and the best mods you can add are a pipe and filter allowing the engine to breath. More air + more fuel + less backpressure means majorly more revs.

~HoundDog

Old 01-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yes they have the same part number for the CDI because they use the same CDI, because they have the same engine. That CDI does not limit how high the engine can rev. The head does. The intake and exhaust ports, and the valve springs.

If you are hitting the rev limiter on a Warrior, you have big problems because they don't have one. Actually, you are probably just jetted too rich on the main jet - it's no big deal. If you drop down a couple sizes that can be as much as 3-4 hp. If it doesn't clear up when you drop the main jet you may have either a weak ignition or more than likely a weak valve spring. - via Mickey Dunlap from a previous post concerning rev-limiters.

Your Yamaha dealer is just a paid average joe that deals with bikes on a regular basis, with exception of the mechanic. There is no rev limiter. We are dealing with a 2-valve head, not the best recipe to hit 12,000rpm in the first place. It needs no rev limiter.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

SpDdEmOn,
Thats what ive heard also, That the engine is designed to only flow x amount of air, the intake diameter, is the big restriction. Ive seen guys hold motors wide open ,in nuetral, and it wont over rev., it just keeps humming along. Some atvs have a rev limiter, but they are for the high proformance atvs. Any one remember the old honda 50, 70 ,90? those things didnt have a rev limiter, and couldnt be over revved. I know because i tried.
I agree its a carb problem.

Quick Reply: wolverine cutting out