Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Toyhauler advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyhauler advice?

stevendsm95gst

What do you think I could get by with for 4 quads and 2 bikes?

Old 01-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

JOhnnysplat- Mine is a Carson Funrunner 20' Front Bath. It's 24' overall length. With two big quads in it, nose to tail, THere is enough room in front of the forward quad, so I walk in the door to the frodge or bathroom. In fact, when the side door is open, you cannot see the quads.

The 24' Carson maybe can handle three quads, but probably only if you turn the rear most unit sideways. In mine there is noway to get three full size quads in it unless you stand them on end......but I don't like doing that too much... if they leak gas, and then you gotta sleep in there....no thanks.

instead of the dealer installing the tie downs at like 25-50 bucks a pop, I installed them myself. I put three rows of four, 12 total, all bolts thru the crossmembers in the frame. with quads, I just roll them in and tie them down with two straps, one forward and to the rear to keep them from rolling anywhere. I sort of crisscross the straps under the quad so there is no tripping hazards... works out perfect.

THree quads, maybe look at a custom built unit a liitle wider, like the Ragen my buddy has, or ask Carson what they can build. Or a 24 maybe or 26 footer. Or like you said the 20 footer and stick the third quad in the back of the truck, people do it all the time... a 26 footer is huge, and heavy.

One more thing, I pull my loaded trailer (8500-9000 lbs) with a 2000 Chevy 2500 Crew cab truck with the 5.7 liter gas mill and 3.73 gears. It pulls it just fine and i get 8-11 mpg depending where I go. but up hill and on high Nevada hiways, sometimes I can barely go 60 MPH. I cross over the Sierra's on hiway 80 and one hill slows me down to about 40 mph. With 4.11 gears that would improve but not much. I run with a bunch of guys with Turbo Deisels and they can go 80 MPH everywhere, and when I replace this truck in 3-5 years, that what I'll be gettin toooo.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

One more thing. My 20' Carson has wheel wells sticking into the cargo area of my trailer, which I consider the reason I can't put two quads side by side.
So measure what you'll need for space with two quads side by side and then go take your tape measure with you when you look at trailers.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 20' carson trailer and I put 4 quads in mine. I built a center ramp that matches the wheel size. I back in 2 quads with front wheels on on the wheel well and the center ramp. Then I put the other 2 straight in side buy side. The front wheels hit and I strap the quads facing each other together. I have lots of room left. I put in some shelfs, drawers for tools and a tire rack up front. I also carry 7, 5gal. gas cans up front and a 35 gal spare water tank. I put 2 to 3 trash cans full of firewood in the back. I have room to walk in the side door and get tool all stuff I have in it. Oh ya the center ramp that matches the wheel well is not fastened in. So when we are camped, I take it out so it can be used to sit on or we put our helmets on it. I pull this with my 30' V10 motor home.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

BUDXXX, after looking on the Carson site a bit and looking at the different models, we're thinking about the 20' front bath model too. We can always throw a 3rd quad in the back of the truck and we wont do that very often anyway so it really doesnt justify the 24' or 26', especially knowing how big they are and also thinking about parking when we go to sand lake and stuff like that where parking space is somewhat limited. We're gonna tow it with our Dodge Ram diesel so I dont think we'll have to worry too much about it being very hard to tow.

If we ask, you're saying the dealer will install additional tie down d-rings? Also, with your trailer, did you get the generator or not, and if so, how much was it? Their site says its only optional but it would be really nice if its not too spendy.

I was also wondering, have you had any problems with your trailer? how is it for comfort? and how much did it cost?

Thx for your help.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Range Rover

Hey does anyone have a lifted ford f-350? I got a 2002 w/ 8" lift and 37ish mickey thompson tires. I was wondering how it'd pull like a smaller weekend warrior or desert fox trailor. Its got plenty of power, I had the dealership put about 1800 into the motor, but I was just wondering if the tire size would suck...Thinkin about goin a 10+" lift w/ like a 20-22" wheel and bigger off road tires..any info?

Old 01-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Dfitz- do you have the front bath or front Kitchen?? My buddy has the front kitchen and there is a lot more room in his, no doubt about it. I don't get how you get four quads in there, next time your loaded up take a picture and post it....Also you must not have the fold down bed/seats if you can roll the quad wheels up on them??? And what size quads are you putting in there???

JohnnySplat-Most likeley the dealer will be anxious to offer to install those for you, high profit margin... ANd as for the on board generator. I personnally chose to buy a Honda EU3000IS, super fuel efficiant, quiet and portable, yet enough to run the air conditioner, and it was only $1600 buck. The onboard is $3500+. I think they vibrate too much for me, and noisier than the portable. BUt the good part of the onboard is if your tooling down the road, and want to pull into a rest stop, you can just hit the start button and instanly have microwave or whatever. Another good point with the onboard is when it's cold and shi##y outside, you can just push the off button instead of going out in the cold......same starting up.... But like I said the portable turned out to be the right choice for ME>
One more thing, the front bath model has the biggest shower, shi##er combo available. A nice big shower and a SEPERATE shi##er, with plenty of leg/knee room, important for big fatso like me. AND I HATE the shi##er in the shower design.......of the front kitchen.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

No bath or kitchen it is just a dbl axle 20' trailer. I haul 2 raptors and 2 400ex's. One of each is wider than stock. I will post some pics when I can get a picture. I don't have any beds over my wheel wells. My trailer is 7' wide and I think the toy haulers are 8'.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

seanDyfz- I don't know what gearing you've got in your differential but generally when you go really big, you need to have really big gears in boths ends. I would not doubt that you'll need 5.10's or bigger in your pnukins to tow a big trailer....maybe not.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

screaminjlew- when you pull your tralier down on the sand like in your pics, do you lower the truck and trailer tireair pressure or leave them at normal running pressure.

Quick Reply: Toyhauler advice?