Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bottom-end rebuild rappy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bottom-end rebuild rappy?

Whats involved, whats the cost, parts included, etc. I'm weighing rebuild vs. buying new. Keep in mind I would do my own work, except maybe if I have the have the rod bearing done. I may take it to someone if a press is involved. Thanks

Old 01-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

It depends what you are all going to replace in the rebuild. The bottem end of a engine isn't like the top end that needs rebuild all the time. Unless something goes out (like a bearing etc..) I would say you don't need to rebuild the bottom end.

Overall it will probably cost quite a bit if you are like me. Because you have to pretty much completely disassemble the engine to get the crank out and after you have done that you will start to put performance parts since you've gone that far. And you will find your self saying "once you change this part then you should change that part as well" .... and the snowball effect starts. That's where it gets expensive.

New rod bearings really aren't too expensive. I just bought some new ones, I can't remember how much they cost but I know it was pretty cheap. But you need to have the crank pulled apart and pressed back together to get the rod off. A new rod is about $200 if you are going to replace the stocker with a carrilo. Then once you get the rod back in and have changed the rod, you should have the crank balanced and that will vary on cost from shop to shop. If you are replacing an 01 tranny it is about $400 just for the parts. Plus you are pulling the jug off so you will need to hone the cylinder again. A complete gasket kit runs around $70 and I think that contains gaskets for the top and bottom end. A new L&A one way bearing is about $200 if you are going to replace that as well.

Plus don't forget those hidden cost of things you didn't think of but need to replace as well.

I hope this gives you an idea of what you are looking for. If you are more specified in what you are replacing I could give you a better idea of cost.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

I'm looking at replacing the 02' gearset, and I figured since I was in there I would replace the bottom connecting rod and bearing. What else would it be recommended to replace? How about the bearings that the crank ride on in the cases? I'm just curious if its worth the time/cost to do all the work, or just get a new quad.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer

You don't really need to change any other bearings. While you have it apart check them all to make sure they are okay and in good shape, but they usually won't need to be replaced.

Old 01-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

My father inlaw told me that unless it is being seriously beaten that I should be able to go for quite a long while on the stock rod/bearings. If its not anything that I should be concerned with in the not to distant furture I'll just get the tranny upgrade, and wait till a later engine rebuild to devulge into the bottom-end rebuild. Until I get the upgrade kit I guess I'm just on borrowed time.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]