Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

"Priming" oil pump after rebuild - Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Priming" oil pump after rebuild - Raptor

Just curious if adding about 1 quart of oil to the crankcase (through the timing chain area) prior to closing up the cylinder head would help get oil to the oil pump upon initial starting.

Seems the oil pump will be totally dry otherwise. The last time I rebuilt the motor it seemed to take a long time for the pump to start pumping oil ( I monitored the weep hole).

Comments ?

Old 01-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

I poured a quart through the top end on mine. I also had to give it a quick rev before it would start coming out the weep hole.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

thru the head would be better but im sure you can put it thru there ..

Old 04-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Has anyone found the right way to do this?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No clue, but PipeIt660 just put his back together, and he said he had to rev it 2 times before oil started coming out of the weep hole.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I left the head cover off until I got the oil lines connected. Then poured a quart of oil in the top end. The oil pump is submersed in oil at that point. The only way too prime the pump is too turn the engine over. I removed the spark plug and cranked the engine for 5 or 6 seconds before starting the engine. Fisher, what did you wind up doing engine wise? Any rhyme or reasoning as too why the 02 gearset failed?
Gary

Old 04-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well I filled the Oil Resevoir up and took the starter cover off and poured about 3/4 of a quart there and turned it over until the battery went dead. I believe it was going on 30 min and still no oil out of the weep hole. I just didnt want to start it until I got oil coming out.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorOwner
Well I filled the Oil Resevoir up and took the starter cover off and poured about 3/4 of a quart there and turned it over until the battery went dead. I believe it was going on 30 min and still no oil out of the weep hole. I just didnt want to start it until I got oil coming out.
Maybe the engine was not turning enough RPM's too pump oil too the top end? Or not building up enough pressure too pump oil too the top? I would take the bottom oil banjo bolt out and see if oil is coming out of there. You have been cranking 30 minutes with no lube too the top end...I would take the intake cover off and give the top end a drink. The owners manual states too start the engine and wait for oil too come out the weep hole a maximum of 1 minute....which is excessive IMO. When I started mine last upon assembly it only took a couple of seconds with the engine running for oil too come out the weep hole. This was over 3k rpm's too break in the cam though.
Gary

Old 04-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes I did check the banjo fitting and it drained quick so I just think that the oil pump is totally dry. I also took the line off the top of the head and poured oil down it and the hole. Still no go.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

You're gonna have to start it and give it a quick rev. Neither cranking speed nor idle speed will prime the pump.

Quick Reply: "Priming" oil pump after rebuild - Raptor