Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 grizz question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 grizz question

a friend of mine has a 02 grizzly and he put 26" titan 589's all the way around. the problem is that he has broken the rear outdrive on one side and the dealer told him it was the bigger tires(snapped in half). now a 100 miles later a front out drive broke(this time the boot ripped and the shaft fell out in his hand). he has about 400 miles on it, rides some mud and does some snow plowing with it. Now is it the bigger tires or is it something else? at around 70 miles he had the clutch actually blow apart and actually it put holes in the belt housing cover. dealer told it was cold water hitting a hot clutch plate??? thought maybe he just has a lemon,now he wants to sell it. Any info would help! please i think he is really mad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2004, 05:31 AM
Pro Rider

Some thing doesn,t sound right. I have the 27" itp 589s on my 04 grizz and have done some pretty serious mud bogging and never had a problem. I have seen a 02 grizzly smoke the belt with huge mudzilla tires and the axles have 3000 kms on it . Was there a hard impact on that side of the quad at one time? The clutch thing sound a little far fetched. The 02 grizzly is belt driven and has no clutch discs just springs , rollers and a belt. I highly doubt that it would get hot enought that cold water hitting it would cause it to "blow apart". My suggestion is find a different dealer that doesn,t come up with poor excuses.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

I heard that there was a problem with the early 03 shafts, is his a late 02??? It was probably not just the bigger tires!

Old 01-24-2004, 11:59 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Your friend should be mad after all of that! My ’02 has somewhere between 1500 & 2000 miles on it right now. I have generally run 27” 589’s in the winter (or certain riding situations where they were useful) and 25” tires at other times, although for the time being I’m going to try running 26” Dirt Devils as my general trail use tires (I’ll know after my next Hatfield McCoy trip if that is for sure the way I want to go). So far I have not had any trouble with mine (and I’ve done a lot of mowing, log dragging, towing and spirited trail riding), although right now the choke cable sticks a little in this extended cold weather spell we’ve been having, however that can happen to any quad’s cable controls. I bought mine new and acquired the 1st one that came into the local dealership here. Did your friend acquire his new or used? Sounds like it could have been possibly seriously abused. Mine’s been in mud / water nearly up to the bottom of the seat and have not had any mechanical abnormalities.

Last night we were supposed to get 1” of snow or less. As it turns out it hasn’t stopped snowing and we now have about 5” or so and a more significant snowfall is predicted for tomorrow. It looks like I’ll be mounting my blade today and putting it to use. I have over a mile of “road” to plow just to keep the farm lane and the neighbor’s lane open…

Old 01-26-2004, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

well the clutch thing doesnt really concern me it was fixed under warranty. but the belt drive does slip now after any type of mud or water riding. tire outdrive problem pisses even me off and its not my atv. my friend bought it brand new it is an 02' he bought right after the 03's came out so the dealer said it was a left over, it had winch installed by the dealer so my friend got it for 7000 even. so if yamaha had problems with the outdrives in late 02 and early 03 then if he gets them fixed the new parts are the updated new outdrives? and do any of you get chatter if you are doing say 20 mph and hit the front brakes hard some one said it was drivetrain chatter and it was normal.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:46 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Yes, I would think any replacement parts (such as the axle / CV joints) would be the updated item (if the dealer is legitimate). If your friend is having belt slippage problems after the dealer fixed the clutch, it sounds like they didn’t seal the case properly. I know I’ve had mine in muck nearly up to the bottom of the seat without any problems. I’d say there’s a leak somewhere. Check the drain plug, be sure it’s attached and closed. Be sure the air duct going into the case is attached properly. All of this should have been properly done by the dealer.

About chattering when applying the brakes, mine has always done it however it was associated with application of the back brake (not the front), especially when going downhill. In this case the quad is very light on the back tires and I figure this has something to do with the chattering. I don’t notice it as much when braking on level ground. BTW I just replaced my front brake pads (they were nearly worn down to the metal). The back brake pads (although larger than the front) didn’t show much wear at all and didn’t need servicing…