Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

whats the top speed of a rapy and a yfz450

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the top speed of a rapy and a yfz450

for the idiot saying that if a yfz goes to a smaller sprocket it will beat the raptor on take off still, well no $hit its giving it more torque what u think is gonna happen?

Old 01-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

yeah give the raptor the 12 tooth and the yfz the 12 tooth and the raptor will still kick its butt

Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

When racing a piped/jetted raptor with a 12 tooth I could out accelerate it and pull away from it on top end with my YFZ and that was with my 115lb girlfriend on the back with me.

I have a friend that has a stock geared Raptor with the GYT-R pipe, filter and jetting on it. Another friend has a stock DS. Both are nearly identical now from dead stop and even on top end. My YFZ modified is in a differernt league. Its not even a race. They can both be wound out on a dirt road, I ride next to them and wait till they are completely wound out, then I twist it wide open and pull from them by at least 3 to 4 mph.

My GPS, which is on a handlebar mount system, tells my that my max on dirt with stock gearing and tires runs 74.9 mph. On average it runs between 73.5 and 74.5mph.

Those of you that think a DS will run 80 need to learn about GPS systems..

In fact in the most recent issue of ATV sport magazine, they tested the Raptor , DS, Kawi and Predi,,, the DS won in all timed sequences ,, and also had the highest top speed. BUT most importantly, is that none of the 4 hit anything over 70 mph on their radar in the test.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have a DS650 with stock gearing and the stock POS rev limiter! It'll go about 77mph untill it bumps the rev limiter, and that causes it to slow down to probably 73-74 if it stays bouncing of it. I had a 1 tooth bigger countershafft sproket (17 tooth) and it would do 80+MPH easily without hitting the limiter constantly. I've passed trucks that were going 90MPH, but I'm not gonna believe car/truck speedos are accurate lol! Oh and by the way, the DS650 comes gear really low so going up a tooth on the front sproket is awesome because it has more than enough torque/power to pull it easily. The stock rev limiters come set WAY low too so just by getting an aftermarket CDI will let it to rev out more. Either of these simple things can add a lot of top end of your DS650 without taking away accelation, like most stock quads that can't pull taller gearing very well. I must say that because of the early DS's super quick steering (like mine) due to the a arm design, you best be paying CLOSE attention at 80+MPH.....

Old 01-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

today me adn some buddies went to a pond riding.. we went to a drag strip so we could see how fast we were going next to a sled... we hit 65 and werent topped out yet.. and i am geared down...
btw.. it was me, another pred and a 450...

Old 01-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FaStLaNe
IT IS ILLEGAL!! Do I need to define that word for anyone?
really? Can you show some sort of documnetation or something stating that it is illegal? Or is it just hear-say from the interenet? Maybe a "gentlemans agreement" for the manufacturers? Is it CPSC (?) rule?

I've heard that it's illegal, doesn't mean it is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kraw
really? Can you show some sort of documnetation or something stating that it is illegal? Or is it just hear-say from the interenet? Maybe a "gentlemans agreement" for the manufacturers? Is it CPSC (?) rule?

I've <EM>heard</EM> that it's illegal, doesn't mean it is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Look some of you guys are getting the wrong picture. YES, the CPSC limits all quads manufactured to obtain an under 75MPH top speed. BUT, the simple fact is NOT EVERY stock 450 made goes the exact same speed. not every stock raptor will go the same speed. This goes for all quads. Every quad is different and there are many factors that will effect top end speed on every quad. My DS will go about 77 at the rev limiter, when someone with the exact same thing could only go 71 at the limiter, and someone else could even hit close to 80! They're all different but that don't give any excuse for the bull$hitters on here to claim "my stock Banshee goes 85 EASY" and "I had my brothers Raptor going 90 and I wasn't even WOT." Now there's just no excuse for people with a low intelligence level to be claiming these fictional #'s, but most of the time it's just young kids that REALLY can't determine the different between 80-90-100+MPH but think "oh but it'll be cool to say it goes 90MPH because it sure feels like it!" And then you got the group that just think it will be cool exaggerate these #'s to make themself feel better because they feel the need to be the higherarchy of the rest or something. You guys know what I'm talking about right?

Old 01-19-2004, 02:17 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: PUSHINTHELIMIT
Originally posted by: Kraw

I've <EM>heard</EM> that it's illegal, doesn't mean it is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Look some of you guys are getting the wrong picture. YES, the CPSC limits all quads manufactured to obtain an under 75MPH top speed. BUT, the simple fact is NOT EVERY stock 450 made goes the exact same speed. not every stock raptor will go the same speed. This goes for all quads. Every quad is different and there are many factors that will effect top end speed on every quad. My DS will go about 77 at the rev limiter, when someone with the exact same thing could only go 71 at the limiter, and someone else could even hit close to 80! They're all different but that don't give any excuse for the bull$hitters on here to claim "my stock Banshee goes 85 EASY" and "I had my brothers Raptor going 90 and I wasn't even WOT." Now there's just no excuse for people with a low intelligence level to be claiming these fictional #'s, but most of the time it's just young kids that REALLY can't determine the different between 80-90-100+MPH but think "oh but it'll be cool to say it goes 90MPH because it sure feels like it!" And then you got the group that just think it will be cool exaggerate these #'s to make themself feel better because they feel the need to be the higherarchy of the rest or something. You guys know what I'm talking about right?

You summed it all up perfectly my friend. i agree totally!

Old 01-20-2004, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

well, I've been googling this for a while and haven't found any written proof that their is in fact a limit. I'm not calling anyone a liar, I just want to see it myself [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2004, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MNRAP
When racing a piped/jetted raptor with a 12 tooth I could out accelerate it and pull away from it on top end with my YFZ and that was with my 115lb girlfriend on the back with.

I have a friend that has a stock geared Raptor with the GYT-R pipe, filter and jetting on it. Another friend has a stock DS. Both are nearly identical now from dead stop and even on top end. My YFZ modified is in a differernt league. Its not even a race. They can both be wound out on a dirt road, I ride next to them and wait till they are completely wound out, then I twist it wide open and pull from them by at least 3 to 4 mph.

My GPS, which is on a handlebar mount system, tells my that my max on dirt with stock gearing and tires runs 74.9 mph. On average it runs between 73.5 and 74.5mph.

Those of you that think a DS will run 80 need to learn about GPS systems..

In fact in the most recent issue of ATV sport magazine, they tested the Raptor , DS, Kawi and Predi,,, the DS won in all timed sequences ,, and also had the highest top speed. BUT most importantly, is that none of the 4 hit anything over 70 mph on their radar in the test.
Hey, have you tried putting a 15 tooth front sprocket on your yfz?? If you do, not only will you still wale on the raptor in the acceleration department, but will also have a better top speed! I did it and absolutely love it. There is plenty of power in the thing to go up one tooth up front!
Stock vs stock, I found that you would way out accelerate a raptor, but the raptor would EVENTUALLY come back and slip by with a better topend speed. The yfz was not geared for topend, but for motorcross. I find that with the mods that I have, there is now too much explosive power on the bottem, and love it now with the 15 tooth up front, and the better topspeed that it gave.

Quick Reply: whats the top speed of a rapy and a yfz450