Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I tried to buy a new Rhino from Sherman Powersports??!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I tired to buy a new Rhino from ****** Powersports??!!

Here is my story… Very long but interesting. The names are actual names of the people involved.

Jan. 9 – Sold wife’s Rubicon

Jan 12 – Called 10 dealers within 3 hours drive. I received several quotes at list, but 3 below list. The best being $8250 out the door from Chris at ****** Power Sports. They started at $8699 on the phone, but once I told them my out the door price at North Texas Yamaha of $8370, they said they would call me back. When Chris called me back, he said George, the sale manager agreed to sell it to me for $8250. Keep in mind that this is the same dealer that has the Rhino listed in the ATV Trader for $7999. Also, they told me they would have to go get it from an Arkansas dealer. They said it would probably be Wednesday before I could pick it up. I said Great! We have a deal.

Jan 14 - I called Wednesday morning to check on it. They had not had a chance to go get it because they were short handed. No problem, no big hurry on my part.

Jan 15 – I called again, same story.

Jan 16 – I called again. This time Chris told me they would pick it up first thing Monday morning and I could get it that afternoon. I told Chris that I was taking my wife on an anniversary trip to San Antonio, but we would try to get up first thing in the morning to get to his dealer ship before they close.

Jan 19 – (Monday) I called Chris at 11AM on my way back to Tyler. He said he had not heard from the “OWNERS” who went to get it for me at the dealer in Hot Springs, Arkansas. He said they left Saturday to spend some time there. He said he expected to hear from them by noon so I said call me back. OK… this is where it gets GOOD!!! He called me back. He said it would be Tuesday because of problems with the other dealer… he thought they were closed Monday. Completely understandable Right!!?? BUT, I questioned things at this point. I asked Chris if he was being straight with me and if I would be able to pick up the Rhino on Tuesday. He says quote”I GO TO CHURCH! I DO NOT LIE” Of course, I am wondering what church has to do with that statement. But, I figure, hey this guy is a man of his word if he feels the need to bring church into it so I will leave it at that.

Jan 20 – (Tuesday) – I get a call at 11AM or so. It is my church going friend Chris. He says that he has good new and bad news. He says that the Rhino is there and I can come get it but the price is now $8850. He said he had to add $600 to the price of the Rhino to pay for the trip to go get it. I am speechless for a second. I figure he is joking. I even asked him if he was joking. He says nope. I said, “Chris, you told me they took a few days to get away… a short vacation” He says I know but they stayed at the Motel 6 and the trip was miserable. I asked him what that had to do with my price? He aid my price was out the door and he and the sales manager George knew they had to go get it. He said that there was nothing he could do. I told him that a man is worth no more than his word. He asked my if I would break my word for $600. I told him absolutely not. I told him that I would tell everyone about this and it would not be worth the damage to their reputation to screw me. He said that I apparently do not go to church and then hung up on me.

I thought to myself that there is no way the owner is in on this. So, I called the owner. He said he was not familiar with the situation and he would have the manager call me back. I said ok. The sales manager, George, called me back. He said he incurred extra cost so I would have to pay it. I told him that we had a deal and I would not pay one dollar more than what we agreed on. He asked what it would take to make me happy and used some profanity and made some indecent comments. I told him that I ask nothing more than for the man to keep his word. He said he could not.

Later, I spoke with Jason who gave me the ****** Powersports number. He has purchased atvs from these people before. He was concerned about the fact that he recommended these people and they screwed me. So, he called to get the scoop from George himself. George told him it was the owners decision and he could do nothing. He admitted it was wrong and that he screwed up. He also said I lied to him about the local Tyler dealer getting 5 Rhinos in their last shipment. Not that this is relevant, but the dealer I was referring to was H&W in Marshall who did in fact receive 5 Rhinos. Anyway, believe it or not, Chris called me again. He offered to send me a PO over the fax and I could sign it and he would work my best deal. I told him if the price was going to be one dollar over what we agreed to, I would not buy it from him. I told him it was a matter of principle at this point. I also told him I work on million dollar deals all the time. If I make a mistake that cost me $50,000, I eat it because my word in my business means something.

So, the moral of the story is do not trust these people because they are not trustworthy. They will lose more than $600 on the next two people I convince not to buy from them and that has already occurred in the last 24 hours.

I am trying to decide if I should post the name of the dealership. The problem is that bad publicity will not only hurt the people that wronged me, but it will hurt the sales people there that had nothing to do with screwing me over.

Do I post the name and number for the dealer? or just the name?

Old 01-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would post the name. People that work there should not want to work for a ripoff dealer. Go to those other dealers and tell them your story and see if they will match. You should not be malicious when talking about a financial deal but honest and express facts, opinions and experiences. Who knows you might save some honest person the trouble of getting hassled. IMO

Old 01-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Range Rover

thats a bunch of bull$hit. some stealerships have the biggest clowns working at them! thats way i call them STEALERships. post the name of the stealer for sure!

Old 01-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts
Default I tried to buy a new Rhino from ****** Powersports??!!

Post the name. I have no problem saying Dean Implements in Forney, Tx doesn't know squat about ATV's. I also have no problem saying Cycle Town South in Lancaster, TX has a great sales/service team. If they would have given you the original deal, you probrably would say their name, so fair is fair.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

My first thought reading this post was that it isn't right to shop dealer prices over the phone. A dealer never knows who they are talking too. Maybe someone serious or not, and if they are, they are just going to call the next dealer and give them a chance to beat the sale price by a small amount, but then tack on more in dealer fees. But then I realized how you can't LEAVE a dealership without a salesperson saying "come back!! we'll beat any price around!!" So the dealers cause that problem themselves!
I also thought that it might not be fair to a dealership to bring up one bad experience of one person. But then I remember the time that HONDA SUZUKI OF SALT LAKE did something very similar to me. Again, just one bad experience, but I sure wish somebody had recommended TRI CITY POLARIS in Kaysville UT, because those guys run a GREAT operation!
Screw it. Post the name of the dealer. Just be sure to post the shop you do buy from, and hopefully it will be a good experience!

Old 01-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Range Rover

Correction - Tri city Polaris is in CENTERVILLE Utah

Old 01-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

WHats wrong with calling around checking on the best prices? Who has time too make a trip too a dealer and find out he sells them $500 over invioce + set-up and freight. When an individual works for a business....he represents the entire business.

Old 01-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

post it 90% of all dealerships would do the same they don't care, my friend bought a ds650 2 weeks ago and the saleman bragged about make 130k last year selling quads so what do you think...................POST IT

Old 01-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

there is NO WAY that one salesman can make 130K on quad Sales Commission!!!!!
I repeat NO WAY!
if he were to make an average of 500 per sale.......which he probably doesn't.....if you argue this you obviously don't know much about retail......then he would have to sale 86.67 quads MONTHLY!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Range Rover

Phone shopping usually only tells you which dealer is best at talking on the phone...

Quick Reply: I tried to buy a new Rhino from Sherman Powersports??!!