Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yzf350T 87 Banshee Bearing Carrier compatability???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yzf350T 87 Banshee Bearing Carrier compatability???

I have an 87 shee that I beat the crap out of and love doing it. The problem is I find myself ineeding parts for it constantly. My most recent endevors have landed me with a stripped bearing carrier. Opting to replace the unit (which I am learning in the long run is much cheaper and more sturdy then modifying the unit) has left me with a bit of a delima. I was wondering if anyone knows if a 89+ carrrier will bolt on without modifying the stock 87 swing arm or the carier?? I am shooting for broke so high priced billet and aftermarket parts are completely out of the question. The difference in carriers is rather obvious ( you can see them at Yamaha's Parts Locator ) but without the swing arms to compare I don't know how the newer carriers fit... Do they fit inside the swing arm?? The 87's use 4 bolts and bolt from the inside out (while this is easy to remove the ears on them bend rather easy, knowledge gained from first hand experience) and the 89+ models use 2 long bolts. On the older models the bolts thread from the medial to the lateral aspect and through the swing arm and into the carrier where the threads hold them in place. The newer models have a shaft that runs the length of the carriers and the longer bolts run the length of this shaft. Designed as they are this means they can't bolt on the outside of the swing arms the shafts being in the way. This is assuming that there is no difference in the swing arms themselves. I could see a bolt that just has a nut on the end of it but this seams rather less vibration resistant and less secure. Am I going to have to locate a stock 87 carrier to replace my current stripped one? Can I use a newer style carrier? If I can use a newer style carrier will I need to change the bearings also?

Any info is helpful,
~Monti

Old 01-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Nope, they won't work.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Heres what I did: Id get a strong bolt and nut, grind the head of the bolt down (so it can clear the sprocket carrier) then smooth out the threads that go into the swingarm so u can get the new bolt through. Then get a nylon lock nut for the bolt, and problem solved. The hardest part is grinding the head of the bolt down to clear the carrier. But once its done, its alot stronger, and cheaper than replacing the entire swingarm/carrier.

-Nick

Old 02-04-2004, 03:15 AM
Trailblazer

yipes! They won't work at all eh? Rats! Ok well you saved me a bit of cash buying a used one that would be totally useless to me now I know why all the 87 style carriers were so competitively fought over on ebay... I might just retap it and run a slightly larger bolt if I can get away without having to drill the swing arm out. If this doesn't work I will have to invest in one of these deals I suppose. Thanks for the responses if anyone else has any suggestions post em.