Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about reeds and reed cages!

I have been doing a lot of R&D with different reeds and cages for about two years know. There is one company that stands alone when its comes to product support and the product they sale.
Have any of you heard of G3 Power Curve Reed Valves? This will become a house hold name sooner or later. I purchased a set of them from William Holgren of 1 Dir Racing 858-679-3288
I have in the past tried Delta V-Force, FMF, Boysen, etc. None of them can match the performance gain of the G3 Power Curve Reed Valve, and the best thing about them is that they are adjustable. Not one other company can offer this.
I was using V-Force untill know, I had to jet up and all most 80% higher to get my plug color back and the performance was unbeliveable. I have only just begun to reach the full potential of my Banshee engines setup with the G3's.

If any of you are looking to purchase a new set of reeds or cages, it will be in your best interest to give William Holgren a call, you will never go back to your old set up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ernie660R
I was using V-Force untill know, I had to jet up and all most 80% higher to get my plug color back and the performance was unbeliveable. I have only just begun to reach the full potential of my Banshee engines setup with the G3's.
Those are bold words. Do these reeds work well on a mild Banshee? 80%?? What mains were you running and what are you running now? Did you start up a dating site or are recommending the one in your sig? THanks for the info.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Gary, they work well in stock, mild, and even heavily modded Banshee's like mine. I am running 36mm Lectrons with power jets. The power jets are used for top end fuel increase. I was using a #25, now I am using a #50 and still need to go to a number #55.
William gave me an example of of a stock piped and jetted banshee running #30 pilots, and 280 mains. The customer had to jet up to a #420 main after installing the G3 Power Curve Reed Valves, and the performance was unreal. Also I would like to add they are less expensive than V-Force.

Gary just give William a call and listen to what he has to say.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

THats amazing....I will relay this info too my bro that has a mild Banshee with the Delta Force set-up. What do they look like? Must be a totally different design too flow so much air??

Old 01-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Gary, a lot of drag racers are using a 2 inch spacer called a super sucker between the carb and intake. These reed cages are a little based on the same principle. All I can tell you is they work!

Old 01-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

WOW, this seems totally the opposite of what happens when using after market reeds or stock ported cages which is you must lean out the mid range since they tend to make you run rich just before the power band. That example you gave seems very hard to believe that a piped banshee running 280's would jump up to 420's just after changing to this new reed valve design. Don't take it personal but I have to see it to believe it, to me that is not true, but if it is where can I find out more info? I personal run stock cages that I have ported/bored them out big time and have had awesome results that not even the V-Force reeds have the such a low RPM (below 1/4 throttle) powerband point, I run my needles one slot leaner than stock with 370's mains.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Hiram, I know how you feel. I didn't believe it either. But for the cost, I said to myself what the hell. I could believe the difference in throttle responce and overall performance.

Call William Holgren @ 858-679-3288

Old 01-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I can't imagine anything would require jet change from 180-420 without also adding about 100psi of compression and 12degree timing advance. I don't see where reed cages would help that much. 420 mains, sounds like a good alcohol jet size.

Are you talking about stock style banshee intakes or are you running the CR/250R reed cages?

I will give him a call even though I can't believe it.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

yes! I have purchased G3 Power Curve Valves a week ago...they are in a box next to me actually...I am installed them this weekend - im driving myself batty waiting for the weekend to come...

I will be telling everyone about these reeds after I go stomp some serious @ss next weekend at the races ~.^

Old 01-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Pimp, could you e-mail me some pics of them? Sandric@go.com

Quick Reply: The truth about reeds and reed cages!