Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GYT-R Spark Arrestor problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GYT-R Spark Arrestor problem...

The problem is that it's not there anymore...It looked like it got ripped out or blown out...I let my friend borrow my rappy this weekend and when it came back I noticed it sounded different right away...I wondered why and I just happended to look into silencer and noticed my SA was gone...My question is, what could of happened to blow it outta there? Jetting problem or some other set up problem? How much does a new one cost anyway?

Old 01-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not familiar with Yamaha's set up, but I'm banking it's similar to the Big Gun I have. At the end of the silencer is a removable cap, you can remove this, and then a small screen with edges designed to be held on by the cap fit right in the back of the silencer. The screen is only maybe a 1/2 inch deep and is curved. This is my spark arrestor. I'm thinking if any different your Yamaha sa maybe coneshaped and a little deeper? In any case, I can't imagine blowing this out unless you have extreme mods to your engine which create a lot of back pressure. Were there any remnants of the screen, or was it just completely gone? I'm guessing one of you're friends buddies told him he could remove this for a little extra horsepower or some bogus excuse. I'd have a chat with him and find out the truth. I could be wrong, but, hey, it's worth a shot. I only paid $15 bucks for my SA at a quad shop on July 4 at Silver Lake, and this shop always hops up the prices. So that's not too bad. If you have it in good with your local yammy representative, I'm sure they'll give you a good deal. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:22 AM
Trailblazer

Not sure about the GYTR setup, but I had the same prob with my Big Gun. I have run a Gun on my 250X without any probs, but my Rap would blow out the screen. Turns out the raps higher exhaust back pressure was too much for the screen to handle...when the curve of the screen was going IN to the silencer. If you are running a screen type S/A, just flip it so the curve points out of the silencer. Haz