Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

questions for SpDdEmOn

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions for SpDdEmOn

Thats good to hear Lotus, glad it is running good. Man I could use a set of Elkas right now, but my hands are full right now with what I have. Let us know how they perform.

needaR - Intakes, which ever one you would like. The FST is harder to put together I think, but it flows more air. I liked the Pro-Design intake too, but I opted to go with more flow.

Pipes - whatever fits you budget man. I havent heard a complaint from anyone about their pipes other than being too loud. I like ones with tunable discs myself, that way you can talior it to the powerband that you want. I like my White Brothers pipe pretty well. I think it makes more power than a supertrapp pipe does. There are a number of pipes that you can choose from. As long as its a good flowing pipe, its not going to make a night and day diffrenence, unless you buy a cheap pipe you should be ok. I wouldnt get a DG unless it was the exellerator, or a Cobra. Definitely stay away from those. I know that Big Gun makes a good pipe for the Wolverine, I think it includes the whole system too, it makes some good power.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hey SpDdEmOn.. Hiding out eh? lol. Glad yer back.

As for the the pipe issue.. my buddy had a '93 warrior sitting right beside his '03 wolverine.. He looked pretty closely at them, and all he could distinguish was different was the mounts for the heat shield. Then I told him to get out a set of calipers and see if the warrior pipe was any larger... Sure enough, 2 or 3mm (I don't remember which, but it was larger).

I am still running the stock exhuast. That is just going to have to change. I am contemplating the White Brothers R4 with the quiet core. From what I hear, they do pretty well. I suppose I had better leave the mod till I get the basement remodeled. (currently building a shop so I can drive the quad into the shop to work on it in the comfort of heat or air conditioning).

We are gonna have to have a wolverine ride somewhere. All of us guys are going to have to meet up somewhere and ride for a weekend. The we can see how all the bikes compare.

I wonder if Shastadog has been following this thread... he seems to know his machine pretty well too.

Ride On.

Old 01-31-2004, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmmmm, that pipe issue now has me wondering. I have always heard that the diameter was the same.

I used to have a torque stuffer (torque valve), and it goes in the top of the head pipe where it bolts onto the head of the engine, and is used to create a stronger venturi with the exiting exhuast gases. Well when I bought this part, it was availiable for the Wolverine as well as the Warrior and it was all the same part. The part came with the same set of directions for both as well and was said to be for the YFM350s, and it is designed to fit snug into each machine. This could only mean one thing, that the diameter of the inside of the head pipe at the top is the same. That part did not specify what year machines that it fit, I have to assume it fit them all. Now I question that maybe the other end is bigger, and that points me back to the muffler issue. If they both have interchangable mufflers then the that only means one thing as well, that the diameter of the other end has to be the same so that the slip-on pipes will slide over the end of the header pipe and fit snug into place. I am not saying that you are wrong at all, I am just trying to find out why this is so. 2-3mm is quite a size difference. Keep me updated on this, I am curious now.

I figure that when you put an aftermarket race pipe on your big bore machine, its really going to uncork the power. It will let it breath alot better, especially at higher rpms. You will probably gain some top speed from this too. When you do it, let me know how much it gives you, I am curious as to what it will do to an almost fully modified machine. In my opinion White Brothers make a good quality pipe, I have to complaints.

Good luck with remodeling that basment man, that sounds like a good idea. Its always nice to have a good place to work on your machine when there is work to be done to it. I would like to have a place like that, or a big garage.

That would be pretty bad to have a big Wolverine ride, with all of us that have souped-up Wolverines and even those who dont. It would be neat with so many Wolverines with such a diversity between them to go riding together all at once.

Yeah I would have though Shastadog would have posted in on this as well. He must have overlooked it.

Old 01-31-2004, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, might be a little off of the topic, but I would like to know if my demon icon smiles and winks at you on your screens. I had Kraw make it do that a while back but I didnt know if you guys could see it, because sometimes it doesnt seem to do it. Thanks

Old 01-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Tis A-OK on the smile and winking icon.

As for the pipe diameter issue, I'll keep you posted. I'll make him measure again as he just bought a used warrior head pipe on e-bay. He can take a set of calipers to it again. If there is no difference, I'll hear about it, as he ended up getting two head pipes - bid on multiple auctions and won both.. ah the luck.

I'd like to get my bike on the dyno before and after the pipe mod, if I get lucky I will, if not, I'll just let you know on the Speed increase.

Later

Old 01-31-2004, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

You guys make me want to mod my Wolvy to the sky but I don't think mom (primary rider now that I have the Cdale) would like that too well! LOL!

Old 01-31-2004, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks man.

Oh man, sorry to hear about his bad luck. That sounds like something that would happen to me. Well he could always turn around and sell the extra one on ebay again.

Cool man, I would like to see what these things are really pushing out. I know Mickey said it was doubling the horsepower. Good luck with the pipe and let me know how she goes.