Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

honda 450 comes up short against yamma 450 (dirtwheels)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda 450 comes up short against yamma 450 (dirtwheels)

so, Dirtwheels came to the same conclusion I did? cool

what makes me mad is, I sub to DW and ATV Action, I dont' even have my Feb issue of ATVA!!!!!

Old 01-27-2004, 07:31 AM
Trailblazer

cant say im surprised[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2004, 01:16 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

Just wait until Yamaha actually makes the YFZ450 a true 450cc motor.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: 14mins
3. The dirtwheels crew said the yamaha was compitition ready and called the Honda trx a trail and track quad.q]

yea, 85% of riders ride trails.....

Old 01-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

Al I can say is take it for what its worth.Atv Sport claimed that in stock form the Honda makes more power than Yami.Although with the just the airbox mod the YFZ easily outpowers the Honda.But then if you add Honda HRC kit,consisting of new cam,exhaust and aftermarket airbox lid.The Honda should make around 47 h.p and should run close to a piped/cam mod Yfz.

Its hard to decide what information is the most true anymore.Three different magazies,3 different opinions.I don't believe anything that comes from dirt wheels for the simple fact that there shoot-outs always contradict previous shootouts between the same models.Not to mention they favor the companies who let them take their machines out and thrash them as they please.

The only way anyone will really know is when the results start showing up.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridley
I'm sure anyone that knows quads very well already knew what the results would be. Seriously, most of us can tell just from specs and photos of the geometry how a quad is gonna handle and perform. It was easy to tell the honda would be underpowered, too short of a wheelbase, and too tall in the saddle. Not rocket science, just years of experience. If I was you 14, i would rub it in alot harder than you have. You took alot of shiz for "paper racing" the two, and everything you had said(along with alot of others) was 100% correct. I was wrong about the weight though, I thought the honda would be at least 10lbs lighter with no kicker, but just 2? That gives the yammi a good 13lb advantage once you put the kicker on. Pretty significant IMO. Given honda's record, you'll see nothing but "bold new graphics" on that baby for the next 10 years so I hope the honda boys get used to second(well third after the new zuki is released). The new zuki motor is pretty dang impressive I've heard. Anyways, so much for the honda being cheaper, a new carb, swinger, and hrc kit adds up quick, and thats just to be even.
Interesting. What Yamaha660R said was true, ive seen it with my own eyes, at glamis this Sunday there was a White and Red Sparks 470 with cut fenders. And a Silver Raptor With powdercoated blue flames going down the side. It was a full signature Craycraft 686 and the internesting thing was the Raptor p!ssed all over the 470.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sheesnojoke
Al I can say is take it for what its worth.Atv Sport claimed that in stock form the Honda makes more power than Yami.Although with the just the airbox mod the YFZ easily outpowers the Honda.But then if you add Honda HRC kit,consisting of new cam,exhaust and aftermarket airbox lid.The Honda should make around 47 h.p and should run close to a piped/cam mod Yfz.

Its hard to decide what information is the most true anymore.Three different magazies,3 different opinions.I don't believe anything that comes from dirt wheels for the simple fact that there shoot-outs always contradict previous shootouts between the same models.Not to mention they favor the companies who let them take their machines out and thrash them as they please.

The only way anyone will really know is when the results start showing up.
.....................Everything that I have ever heard, or read, and all the dyno's, prove that the honda makes less. From what I have heard, the hrc kit makes it even with a yfz with the baffle removed. 47 hrspw huh? Thats a new one on me! Like ridley said, the bike barely made that at the rear wheel.
The yamaha will be faster"." The dirtbike world has proven that one over and over again. The yamaha is always crazy fast, and has more power. Not till this year has the crf even been equal to the yz450f's peak horsepower. And even then, the yamaha is making more power throught out the rest of the range still. The only reason you see crf's winning out there, is because they are easier to ride, the yamaha just gets out of hand! TOO MUCH POWER!
The honda trx and cfr is a xr motor on steroids. A lot of low end grunt. The trx should be a great trail quad, and with work, a good race quad. I dont know how it will ever compare to an equally built yfz though. As for your average riders out there, who puts a jet kit, an exhaust, filter, and maybe a cam on there machine, will never have a problem beating the hell out of a trx, unless the rider on the yfz sucks that bad!

Old 01-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridley
Die scared, I don't understand your quote there buddy. I'm comparing the honda and yamaha in that statement, not the two yamaha's. Isn't that what this post was about anyways? And about the rappy situation, that seems to be a rarety. I've heard many more reports going the other way. Why was it different in your case? who knows. Bad rider, bad tuning, screwing around, fat rider, who knows. Not all 470's are gonna be 55+hp monsters, just like not all 686's are going to be blisteringly fast. I believe some rappys are making 70rwhp, when they are really built. I would guess that 470 wasn't anywhere near 62 to stay even. Give it some time though, you'll see them. besides, put em on a track and a stocker yfz will run circles around a built rappy.
I know this was the Honda vs Yamaha, and somehow it became another Raptor vs YFZ thing. LOL. Dont know who started it but I wanna give up on this thread already. Who knows why the YFZ lost, can be many things. But lets get back to topic, Honda vs Yamaha. lol. Im sure ill see them, everyone has a better bike out there, it just depends who has the bigger wallet. And mine is no where near big [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

People already have their March issues of DirtWheels????
I've only had my February issue for about 2 weeks....i feel deprived......lol!

Old 01-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by Ridley
Why don't you scan that shootout article in atv sport and post it. I usually get to see the mags as soon as anyone, and I haven't seen it. Probably cause it ain't out yet. Hmmmmm. You can't simply pick out rhetoric from a mag, paste it all together, and have a viable statement

Oh no!..Ridley didn't get his atv sport,the world must be coming to an end on the count that someone else got their mag before Ridley

The mag has been out...It has a open class shootout on the cover.
I was just giving you their claims and the numbers they printed.Like I said I don't know who to believe any more
If you think I'm gonna print out the article and post it for you your crazy.Stop being a cheapass and go buy it your self.Dude,If you were on fire,I wouldn't **** on you to put you out.

Quick Reply: honda 450 comes up short against yamma 450 (dirtwheels)