Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MARCH DIRTWHEELS SHOOT OUT

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MARCH DIRTWHEELS SHOOT OUT

Welcome to the dirt bike world guys. Competition machines (mx and even most offroad bikes) Never have electric start. Why is it any harder trying to start your Trx, Yfz, Or raptor, than a Crf450, Yzf450, or Xr650R? Or better yet, how about a Cr500, Kx500, Ktm550? Or maybe an old vintage Maico, Husaberg, Husqvarna? Not saying either one of you is wrong, but the dirtbike community has been dealing with kicking over high compression motors manually for yrs........ You like being able to just press the button? Thats great. I think its great that technology has come along so far that we have the choice.

But, if you don't like to kickstart your ride.........don't. Go buy the Yfz, or any of the rest of the new current breed of quads. The Trx was a purpose built quad, and all measures were taken to make it as light as possible. Now Honda(as well as Yamaha) knows that very few of these machine will ever see the mx track so yamaha took a more "general population" appeal by putting electric start on thier machine. Honda on the other hand decided not to. Does it mean Honda made this catstrophic mistake? I don't think so. I think they just decided to make a purpose built quad, and they did just that. Want electric start? Buy a Yamaha. Want reverse? Buy a suzuki, kawasaki, or a Raptor. Both the Yfz, and the Trx weren't built for everyone. They marketed to a specific customer, and in my opinion they hit the nail right on the head.

And 14 mins...........

Your kidding right?
Hide at the mx track? These quads were built FOR the mx track....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Seriously man I really question your comments sometimes.... There is waaay more talent and ability involved with racing mx than holding a throttle wide open and racing to the top of a hill. Drag racing is fun, but these quads are designed for sooo much more.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Flynbryan

Go buy the Yfz, or any of the rest of the new current breed of quads. The Trx was a purpose built quad, and all measures were taken to make it as light as possible.
light as possible? then why does it wiegh the same as the yamaha, and the yamaha has a battery and starter, that can even be romoved to make it even lighter... it would of really liked the kickstart on the honda, but its FORWARD kickstart! thats like kickstarting a moped.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FastBansheekid
Originally posted by: Flynbryan

Go buy the Yfz, or any of the rest of the new current breed of quads. The Trx was a purpose built quad, and all measures were taken to make it as light as possible.
light as possible? then why does it wiegh the same as the yamaha, and the yamaha has a battery and starter, that can even be romoved to make it even lighter... it would of really liked the kickstart on the honda, but its FORWARD kickstart! thats like kickstarting a moped.
exactly my point. This was probably a real inexpensive way for Honda to hit the same weight #'s as the Yamaha. Again my point still stands.......if you don't like a kickstart(no matter which way it kicks) don't buy it.

PS. I'm not a real big fan of forward kick either. Better be wearing mx boots before you start kick those.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]