Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what's the worst a yamaha wolverine has been through

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the worst a yamaha wolverine has been through

I dipped mine in water over the gas tank real quick a few times before I drilled my airbox lid. My cousins started to call it old faithful after they sunk 2 sportsman 500s (wet belts w/ some water in the airboxes) in a water crossing that the wolverine went right across. I never got any water in the air box until I drilled the lid (if you ride in water or snow, don't drill it).

However I think the water, riding on 2 wheels, jumping, and slamming through whoops has taken its toll on the wheel bearings, I think I've done 3 front sets and two rear sets.

And i got dirty gas in mine once (not even lawn mower quality) and it clogged the carb jets (just took a good cleaning),

Those are the only problems I can think of at the moment.

Bought a 99 Scrambler 400 4x4 last week and it died on me the first ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img], I'lll be glad when I'm back to my trusty Wolverine.

Old 04-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

My wolverine has been over the handbars in water and mud....Flipped back over a treee..slid side was and flipped 4 times on wet grass( The day i got my warn kit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])....Clutch poped when i was stupidly trying wheelies....and taken over logs about the size of a migit laying down [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] still runs great [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

hey wolverine2003 i looked at you picks and i saw the one with you doing a wheelie...not to shabby my friend has one and he cant get it up. how do you do it?

Old 05-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

About the 1996 Yamaha Wolverine I just purchased for plowing snow . . . this thing is gutless. I've had many types of bike and 4-wheelers, but this is my first 4x4. Surely it isn't so underpowered that it won't even spin the tires on snow. Anybody heard of the 96' being that underpowered ? I've jetted it and done all the normal things for a crisp throttle, but what a dog! It does have 2" taller tires (previous owner installed), but the larger tires I've put on previous 4 wheelers have never affected the power this much. Any Ideas ?

Old 05-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just a quick addition to my original post on the 96' Wolverine. I wanted to add that the power is decent as soon as the r's are up a bit, just zero bottom end. And yes, I have jetted it - top to bottom - bottom to top - main, needle etc. Compression is good. Nothing seems to help. That's why I was curious if anybody else had a wolverine that is this low on power. Thanks ~K~

Old 05-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Henderko,
Going too big on tires on a stock Wolverine will kill the bottom end, it is geared for sportier riding,so is a bit tall to begin with, bigger tires raise the gear ratio to the point you are lugging it off the bottom. To run 25 - 26" tires, a pipe,filter and rejetting are mandatory, I put a .040 over 10.25 : 1 piston and an 88 grind cam in my motor at the rebuild, and I am turning 25" Maxxis tires like the stockers, and they are a lot wider and deeper tread that really grabs, and it is quick off the line, and pulls all the way to the top end. It would be easier to put a 23" or a 24" tire back on, and try driving it then, you should see a big improvement. If you are planning on keeping the Wolvy, and like the big tires, for a few hundred bucks you can put my mods in and have all your power back, making the Wolverine fun to drive again. Also, installing a Warn 424 to unhook the front end will really get the back end spinning, and allow you to powerslide corners like a sport quad.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

95wolv,
Thanks for the reply. I assumed the tires were the way I'd have to go (sans the top end rebuild), but I just didn't want to believe it. Even the local dealer didn't think the 2" larger tires would kill the bottom end that much. Guess I'll borrow a set of stock 23"s and see what it will do . . . and thanks again for your post.
~Kurt~

Old 05-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, you people (some) like to kill your wolvy's! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I am a person that likes to take an easy and not abuse machine, but use them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The wolvy has NEVER left me stranded.
It has Done this for me:
~Pulled a "truck bed trailer" through 2 feet of clay/mud/standing water, which also happened to be a ditch. 3rd gear nailed got me through that one.
~At the local ORV park I managed to find the thickest/deepest muck out there. I would like to emphasize the "Thickness" of it. The headlights went under and the goo came close seat. This was a 10 yard "bog" and the wolvy powered it's way through.
~When blazing a number of trails in Colorado, I was able to march my way up to 14,00 feet. Not to mention working my way up "round mountian" when a friends 400ex puked out and the wolvy kept on climbing (slowly though).
~It also worked its way down "black bear pass" in CO. Much like "95wolvy" stated, a few of the trails in CO require a lot of preplanning. This is very true, ATV or Jeep (I have done both)

We have two wolverines (1995 and 2000)...Here are the problems.
(95/00) Blows some smoke at start up ~The 95 is old and needs a rebuild, while the previous owner of the 00 never changed the oil in 3 years og hard riding)
(95/00) The carb needs cleaned once or twice a year ~Not a problem since we jet each year for Colorado
(95) Replaced from hub bearings
(95) Rear axle breaing need replaced
(00) Needed a new Stator ~Once agian, the OEM stator went out due to no oil by the PO. Replaced with a Ricky Stator stator.
(00) Replaced Fuel petcock

Old 05-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

What is a tell all sign that your front and rear bearing have gone bad? Are they easy to replace? Any tricks in doing it?

Blaster96 was the petcock valve easy to replace? Did you have to drain the tank? I ordered one for my 98 but havent installed it yet. Thanks