Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what's the worst a yamaha wolverine has been through

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the worst a yamaha wolverine has been through

What can a wolvering go through? what's the worst it has gone through and came out strong?

Old 02-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

One of my pics shows mine in water up to the bottom of the seat. I ended up with water in my left boot from having to shift into reverse to back out when the ice stopped me. Since I put the new tires on it I haven't been stuck, going through some pretty deep mud and water areas too.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Holy Cross Jeep Trail in Colorado. This trail has a sign that states vehicle damage likely and no recovery past the sign. Well, this trail is one giant bolder after another. You must plan quite carefully on how to get from rock to rock without dropping your machine into the void between them or high centering on the rock itself. Extremely slow crawling speeds. If you want to reach the top, a winch is the only way. My wolverine has been there and back. On the way down, she even spent about 10 minutes upside down. Once upright, no worse for the wear.

This was by far the most technical riding I have ever done. My wolverine made me proud.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

have you had any problems with the wolverine since you've had it and be honest tell me everything. thanks

Old 02-01-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

I have only had mine for just over a year. In that time, I have replaced the rear axle bearings as well as both sets of front spindle bearings. I consider this just routine maintenance as the bike is already 8 years old and it had not been done. Other than that, I haven't done anything besides carb tuning. I am quite a perfectionists, so I am always looking for it to run better. I guess that is why it runs pretty darn well now.

I personally believe a wolverine is a pretty bullet-proof machine.. much like it's cousin the warrior. However, the wolverine being shaft driven takes the chain maintenance away... even better.

I have a buddy looking to purchase a wolverine soon in his future.. I have not the slightest reservation in pointing him towards a used wolverine. Sure, I'll look it over and take her for a spin, but I am pretty sure I would not find anything major wrong. It just doesn't happen.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

In the couple years I've had mine I have:

1) Changed oil 3 or 4 times total. Once a year or so..
2) Cleaned the air filter every now and then
3) Replaced stock tires when wore out
4) Replaced front wheel bearings (needed it, 6 years old)
5) Painted the stock front skid plate and racks after they were looking scratched up
6) Put gas in it - lawnmower quality only
7) Rode the absolute shiz out of it

That about sums it up. Bulletproof.

Worse its been through? Hmm... I was mudding one day and went into a swamp pinned in 2nd - it dropped in, hit a stump, and sent me to a helmet-stand on my front rack while still holding onto my handlebars, until I could wiggle my way out of the complete vertical and back onto the seat with a ball-crushing thud. The Wolv took over an hour to winch out of that mess, but was undamaged other than bending that front skid thing. A hammer fixed that.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

After the first half hour of ownership had it completly swamped in river. I hate to say it but i had to be towed back by a rancher. Changed the oil about 5 thimes that first day to get all the water out. Everything was full exhaust, airbox, and crankcase. Now my buddies always say that the wolverine goes like a tank, then they correct them selves and say fish tank. After that and 2 hard years of racing the rings where shot so I had to rebuilt the top end already. Other than that most fun and reliable machine i've owned.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

HOBERT, I had a similar issue approximately 20 minutes after I took mine out for the first time. My question for you and anyone else reading this is how exactly did the water get into the oil case? My buddies and I looked and found an engine vent that was about the same height as the air intake, is that were it comes in at? We extended the hose with a makeshift smaller diameter hose extention that runs up near the handlebars so hopefully we've licked the problem - but I need to know for sure because I sure as hell don't want to spend another 30 bucks in oil and another hour filling and draining. My buddies have 450 foremans and they've come damn close to submerging them, too - but haven't gotten any water in the oil. Is this a Yamaha/Wolverine problem, or does it happen with other quads that you get too crazy wet with?

Old 03-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

this is pretty deep [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

http://www.forgotton.net/atv/ladunes...s/DSC02198.jpg

http://www.forgotton.net/atv/ladunes/pages/DSC02194.htm

Old 03-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine was about as deep as the one in the pic.s when it quit running. I think ur right, thats the breather that lets the water in. My air box and all was full though. Idont think it would have helped.

Quick Reply: what's the worst a yamaha wolverine has been through