Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Honda wins again boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 03:44 AM
RPM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda wins again boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All it takes is money and knowledge. But the fact is that these "Race" quads are far from stock. The motors have been worked over to the very limit that the rules allow. and the suspensions have been modified to be wider, lower and handle better than the factory units. The shocks have been modified or changed, different wheel and tire combos, Gusseted frames, different steering components and so on.

The average Joe isn't going to lay down the money for one of these quads off of the showroom floor and then go out and be competative with the Big Boys. That is simply Not reality.

Granted, these are not unlimited Quads, however, these are Factory backed teams that have all of the manufacturers knowledge and finacial backing at their dissposal. If there was even one more Pony to be pulled from either of these motors, you can bet that they would do it reguardless of cost or the manpower needed to achieve the gain in HP and performance.

That is the difference between US and THEM.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Pro Rider

First of all, you can not base a statement "honda is better blah blah blah, because it beat yamaha's quads" off of one race. If a majority of the races, not just pro ALL races, tracks, drags, rolling them off cliffs and see which hits first. Whoever seems to be winning most, might be the better quad, for some. Anyone would know, if you are trying to find out the facts, you pull information from a wide range of sorces. Not just one or a couple races. Now please stop cluttering these forums with this BS

All this brand loyalty is lame.

K thanks bye

Old 02-02-2004, 06:25 AM
Pro Rider

wow, fighting are you! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] acting like my little brother and his friends! MAN! you need to go back to pre-school.

With all do respect, you need to lightin' up yamaha guys, as well as the honda guys!!! Stop with the "bla" and talk truth.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you RPM thats what i was trying to tell them, and the trx might have been only out to me and you and everybody else for a month but i guarantee honda and Tim Farr has had theirs for at least 3 months

Old 02-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RPM
All it takes is money and knowledge. But the fact is that these "Race" quads are far from stock. The motors have been worked over to the very limit that the rules allow. and the suspensions have been modified to be wider, lower and handle better than the factory units. The shocks have been modified or changed, different wheel and tire combos, Gusseted frames, different steering components and so on.

The average Joe isn't going to lay down the money for one of these quads off of the showroom floor and then go out and be competative with the Big Boys. That is simply Not reality.

Granted, these are not unlimited Quads, however, these are Factory backed teams that have all of the manufacturers knowledge and finacial backing at their dissposal. If there was even one more Pony to be pulled from either of these motors, you can bet that they would do it reguardless of cost or the manpower needed to achieve the gain in HP and performance.

That is the difference between US and THEM.
You are vastly overstating what they are doing to these bikes.

Motor? Farr's bike came from Baldwin's in NE Ohio - if I wanted the same thing done I could drive there and drop it off with the cash - not a big deal. There is only so much you can do to something that is already 450cc. Up compression, headwork. You think they are running NOS here or what? It just isn't happening. There is nothing outrageous about these quads and it takes much less money for the average Joe to have the same bike - supposedly part of the goals of the new rule changes. You don't need 25k to have a competitive bike.

Suspension? Farr runs PEP - I could go buy that at Baldwin's as well. Granted, I might have to get on a waiting list 5 miles long, but I could buy the same PEP big bottle shocks for less than 2 grand. A-arms that he runs are a little over a grand - brand is like JB or something. I don't know who they are but for some reason he switched to them instead of Laeger (probably money, sponsorship). Either way, you could buy either of them and be just as well off. Yeah, they also run extended axles, but you can buy those for 300-400 bucks too.

Of course they do not run stock tires and wheels - I shouldn't have to mention that. But you can buy for a reasonable price anything they are using.

Frames gusseted? Of course - costs you less than a grand to do.

Steering components? Yep - usually an aftermarket stem - $300-400 or so.

For 12 grand you could build Farr's bike - and many people will this year. The reason they aren't competitive is because they don't RIDE as fast as Farr, not because they can't afford to.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

how ironic, whenever yammy wins you honda guys say its 90% rider 10% quad, oh didnt timm farr get spanked a month or so ago?, on the 450r

Old 02-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just found out last weekend, by a local shop here that did a comparison on both YFZ450 and the TRx450R and the YFZ tore it up!!! I cant believe you Honda guys believe this crap. Even one of the Honda reps seen this in action!!! It was a sad day for this bike to come out.

Old 02-02-2004, 01:41 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

thomez,

Thank you for helping to proove my point. For some, that is a lot of money, time, knowledge and work. A lot of these guys talk like the Pro Quads are fresh off of the showroom floor and that by Farr or Little winning races, that prooves that one quad or the other is better. My point all along has been that both the 450R and the YFZ450 are both great quads, but are in no way represented by the Pro's quads. By your own post, you have shown that it takes a lot of $$$ and work to bring these quads up to the level of the Pro rides. If it were as simple as you make it sound, everyone would modify their quad to perform the same as the Pro's, but that doesn't happen very often.

You left out the Months and Months of testing and tuning that the factory teams spend dialing in these quads. I'm guessing that isn't free either.

Old 02-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: arobred400
haha and i dont want to hear the excuse that the only reason the 450r won is because tim farr was riding it. If the yzf is so good why didnt 1 of the other guys use the pure power and handling of it to beat farr. There was a bunch of great riders on the yamaha, oh yeah that was the only 450r in the race.
Keith Little didnt get to race because his yamaha blew up(what a surprise) and he wasnt able to get a new piston in time
Its funny you mention that!!!! I beat ALL OF C class and half of the b class in the 250class with my 285!!!!! Does that mean their machines are junk????? Bubba Stewart runs faster lap times on his KX125 than Ricky Carmichael and Kevin Windham does on their CR250R and CRF450R!!!! What does that tell yoU??? It is definately all Rider!!!! This past weekend they had a quad race here, the YFZ beat one of the guys who had a TRX450R!!! As much as I love YAMAHA, the fact is, when it comes to MX racing its defiantely the Rider that wins the Race!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RPM
thomez,

Thank you for helping to proove my point. For some, that is a lot of money, time, knowledge and work. A lot of these guys talk like the Pro Quads are fresh off of the showroom floor and that by Farr or Little winning races, that prooves that one quad or the other is better. My point all along has been that both the 450R and the YFZ450 are both great quads, but are in no way represented by the Pro's quads. By your own post, you have shown that it takes a lot of $$$ and work to bring these quads up to the level of the Pro rides. If it were as simple as you make it sound, everyone would modify their quad to perform the same as the Pro's, but that doesn't happen very often.

You left out the Months and Months of testing and tuning that the factory teams spend dialing in these quads. I'm guessing that isn't free either.
In fact I did not proove your point but mine - you said these ATV's are some radical item which nobody else can have. In fact, that is far from the truth. How many R's are out there with 15 grand in them? A LOT. With the new rules you can be competitive with less than that. I could, with an American Express, have everything Farr does by the end of the day. They are far less exotic than you make them sound. Many people have just as good components and they run B class. Tons more people have the money than are able to ride like the best. Hence PRO.

Quick Reply: Honda wins again boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!