Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Noise in Raptor engine???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004 | 11:03 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Noise in Raptor engine???

Last year I purchased two new 2003 Raptors, one for my son and the other for me.

We have put less than 10 hours on them since that time and broke them in as required.

They both run great! No problems with performance, acceleration, top end, etc.

I have noticed that one of the engines has just a slight "ticking" when it is running. Nothing significant. Just a slight "tick" that is not in the other.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2004 | 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

If it's still under warranty, no worries.

I'm guessing its time to check the valve lash. Maybe you will have the dealer do a first service on both machines. this can be expensive but if you bring it in and complain one makes noise and the other doesn't they will find the problem. Otherwise check valve adjustment, cam chain tension, etc. Do you have the factory service manual???

I got the extended warranty, so if it's blows up, chances are they'll fix it, especially if you have the first service at the dealer, it's in the computer....

Some people say the extended warranty is bunk, expensive and they'll screw you in the end,......but I look at it as cheap insurance, I insured my quad for damage and theft, and the extended warranty I consider insurance against premature engine expiration.

Old 02-05-2004 | 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the valves need adjusted.

Old 02-05-2004 | 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like the valves need adjusted.

Definetly. Once you get the valves adjusted, that sound wont be there.

Old 02-05-2004 | 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Do the valves loosen up on breakin? Ive seen more tighten up on breakin that loosen . Just wondering

Old 02-05-2004 | 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I was guessing it was also valves

I need to adjust mine as soon as it warms up.

Old 02-05-2004 | 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have recently found my engine to be ticking too. Very odd, but it came after I drove it to hell and back during a harescramble. (I guess I should have followed the course markers!)

Does anyone have suggestions as to what might cause that tick. The values are adjusted correctly; it isn't a ping like the values being too tight or anything.

-horgen

Old 02-05-2004 | 03:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

same thing happened to me after i adjusted my valve lash. i hadnt tightened one of the intake valves enough and it was rattling. just had to remove the tappet cover and try it again, worked fine.

Old 02-05-2004 | 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

It's the valves. My engine was still in the ten hour/ first tank of gas break in period and so the dealer adjusted 'em free.

Old 02-05-2004 | 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I guess they tighten up (according to one plausible sounding explination, I read on here) because the valves basically beat themselves silly on the valve seat during break in, so if the valves are deeper in to the seat that puts them closer to the tappets, I don't know if thats what happened to your machine or if that can cause the noise you have.

BUt hey, the tappets could easily loosen up too....

Quick Reply: Noise in Raptor engine???