Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Will a bone-stock YFZ450 endure an amateur's full race season

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a bone-stock YFZ450 endure an amateur's full race season

Since the topic of stock parts and their durability on the MX race track has been brought up, does anyone have a take on how a bone-stock YFZ450 will survive a full MX race season? I am not talking about speed/performance, but will the parts hold up.

If I race a stock YFZ450 for 18 MX races (a full D23 season), can I count on the stock rims, tires, A-arms, rear axle, and frame all holding together. Or do I need ITP T-9 Bajas or Beadlocks, stronger A-Arms, and a new Axle? And will I need to reinforce the frame for a summer's worth of practicing and title chasing?

Has anyone actually won an amateur AMA/ATVA district title on a quad with stock wheels & a frame that hasn't been reinforced? Or do all quads need a trip to the shop before taking on a MX racing season?

Let us all know what you think...

-ben horgen

Old 02-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Range Rover

I would have to ay no way unless you ride it like you do not want to win. You will break something and you will not be avle to finish a race season on a bone stock quad.

Old 02-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

I would replace the wheels and maybe an axle.......
I would think the a arms would b aight.....

Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Range Rover

Well from one of my quad mags, they had a guy totally supe up a yfz 450. He pointed out that he did some gusseting for strength becuase of paint flaking of on the frame from stress. My opinion: get rims/ tires and a stronger maybe longer axle.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

So what I am gathering from all of your comments is:

A Bone-stock YFZ450 might last a race season. Naturally a crash might take out any component and it is just a matter of how lucky I am when I crash.

Shocks and Wheels are the two things most quads need to have replaced. I imagine putting on a pair of Rear HiPer wheels on the quad would keep the quad rolling all reason; and the stock Dunlop rubber should hold up on the MX track.

Does everyone agree that the stock YFZ450 shocks are comparable to PEP, Elka, and other top brand shocks?

Thanks,
-horgen

Old 02-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Click on my photo page for an answer. This was with a 130-140 pound rider. Quad was ridden on an MX track. Quad was not thrown off of a truck, rolled down a hill, or anything else that Yamaha claimed it was NOT intended for.

Note: these photos are in no way an attempt to bash or belittle the YFZ 450. I could care less about the Yamaha vs Honda battle that has gone on in this forum since the announcement of the availability of both quads.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridley
Expecting to run a whole season of mx and not breaking anything sounds more than a little far fetched

I agree, have some extra cash on hand so when something gives out, you can fix it faster. It's a process, not an event.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reminder Ridley and UBETRUN. I should have mentioned the fact that almost every rider will replace parts throughout a race season. I don't want to say “every” rider will because some racer will chime in and start bashing me with a b.s. statement like, "I raced the same Honda for 3 years and never replaced a part or changed the oil." For the rest of us racers who have their head on straight, we know to establish a race budget and a savings account for the year’s unexpected surprises.

With that said, what parts on a YFZ450 need to be replaced upfront before a race season would start?

My Question: Is there a good chance that a YFZ450 will stick together, minus the "extreme" wear every part will face during the race season, or should I buy the quad still in the create and ship it off to Rath Racing for frame reinforcement;

Question 2: Would a "competent" MX racer expect to put beadlocks, stronger a-arms, and an stronger axle on a new YFZ450 right out of the create?

-horgen

Old 02-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ask because I have a 02 Raptor which I learned to ride MX tracks with. The Raptor needs A-arms, aftermarket shocks, and new rims if I want to race it this season. I need to decide whether to dump the Raptor in trade for a YFZ450 or just pump some cash into the Raptor. I prefer to keep the Raptor if the money equation works out; Or in other words, If I need to put that same stuff on a new YFZ450 I’ll just keep my Raptor. But if a mostly-stock YFZ450 will hold up for a competent MX rider, I'll force myself to trade my faithful Raptor off for a new YFZ450.

Opinions are all appreciated, thanks!

-horgen

Old 02-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

I had a 02 raptor set up for mx elka shocks +2 a arms wider axle etc.I brought the yfz home,bone stock I was making faster lap times on the yfz on my practice track.It just handles better bottom line.As far as the yfz holding up for an entire season ,it just depends on how YOU ride.I got several races on the yfz before our season ended(pretty much stock except pipe) and had no issues.

Quick Reply: Will a bone-stock YFZ450 endure an amateur's full race season