Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??

It sounds like you want the biggest-baddass quad around no matter if you can ride it or not!.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
It also sounds like your partial to Yamahas so get the YFZ450, just use caution and you'll be ok.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

But even a 400EX can beat a YFZ450 on the trails if the rider can't use the extra power to their advantage. When it comes to big bores on the trails the competition gets much more equal...........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I say if your riding the trails and playing, the Z400 or the raptor would be the best bet, I love my Z for the trails, plenty of power, and the suspension and seat are plush. I wanted a sport quad I could ride all day without feeling I needed a spinal cord replacement when I was through, (I'm 39). The Z fit the bill, I'm sure the raptor does too.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

If you were doing alot of dune riding then I'd say go for theYFZ, but for trails and mountains only, the Raptor is the way to go, your butt and arms will thank you for it also[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] What about a V[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

if you want power then it doesnt get any better then a banshee

Old 02-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TOWERCITY I will not be riding on any tracks, just trail riding on dirt with semi open trails and mountains.
When you say mts. are you talking about trails through mts. or are you going to have some rocky trails and technical places you'll be riding? If you mean the latter, I'd definitely be looking at something with reverse.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

When you say mts. are you talking about trails through mts. or are you going to have some rocky trails and technical places you'll be riding? If you mean the latter, I'd definitely be looking at something with reverse.
Actually both...so yes reverse would be nice. Of course other people easily do it without it.

Point taken though, reverse is an elite option.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

If I were buying a quad strictly for trail riding, I would recommend a z400 over the Raptor. I would recommend a 400ex over a Raptor too. The only time I would pick the Raptor is if steep, long hillclimbs are in your future. The Raptor can walk up hills that the z and the ex cannot handle. I am talking about hills that require the tires to be spinning in at least 3rd gear. With that said, I personally chose to purchase another 400ex within the past year. Already owning 2 of them means I have an awesome spare parts inventory and the savings and reliability were key to me. I can throw a 400ex all over the place. The z is the same. The added weight of the Raptor makes it more difficult.

I haven't ridden a YFZ or the new Honda. I would not get the Honda strictly because it lacks e-start. I imagine then YFZ would be a good choice too. Reverse on the Raptor was nice but not a necessity. About 99% of the time I got stuck, reverse wouldn't do much.

/Jon

Old 02-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

ok. If you are wanting a manual quad, and the rocks and stuff are not very big, definately go with the Raptor or Z/KFX. I have ridden the YFZ450 in tight woods trails and found myself slipping the clutch often because of the "2-stroke-like" powerband. NOT a good trail machine IMO. I own a KFX so Im partial, but am 125% satisfied with the power, handling, comfort, reverse, etc. I have ridden a Raptor also, and it was awesome too, although it has about 1500 bucks worth of suspension and tires/wheels so that is an unfair comparison. One other thought which will bring alot of negative remarks Im sure, but have you thought about an auto quad? If you can, I would definately look into both the Vforce700, and also a Polaris 500 scrambler 2wd. I have not ridden a V, but heard they are awesome on the trails, but my buddy has a scrambler 500, and that thing rips! It is very comfy, easy to handle, and the main reason Im including thewse choices is the much increased ground clearance which if you are climbing rocks, would come in handy. If I was gonna buy a second machine, it would definately be one of those. Your best bet is to try to test ride each of your possible choices and make a decision from that.

Old 02-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

I would take the Raptor over any quad. Ive rode the YFZ, in trails and dunes, and man that thing gave me a back ache, that thing is like an eternal wedgie. Too zippy, snappy for my riding style, didnt sit right for me, and I just plain didnt enjoy it..... But the Raptor, I fell in love the first time I sat on that thing, and when I rode it, it was perfect. The torque was scary even, SOOO MUCH. Handling isnt as good as a Z but nothing you cant manage, actually I like my Raptors handling. And dont think that I know nothing of the Z, most of my friends own the 400 clones [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. And most of them are buying Raptors as of now, because they ride mine and my friends, and they love that thing, they ride my Raptor more than I get too sometimes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

Yeah, the Raptor is an awesome machine. The only other reason I can argue for the Z/KFX is that if you are fairly inexperienced, the Z has a much easier to manage power band, while being very powerful and smooth riding, than the Raptor, but really, if you have the ability to ride within your limits, and work up to a more agressive style, either machine will be perfect once you get used to it.

Quick Reply: THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??