Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??

I AM LOOKING TO BUY AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS FEEL IS THE BEST ATV FOR DIRT TRAILS. PLEASE DON'T JUST SAY WHATEVER YOU OWN TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL GOOD.

At the moment, I am leaning towards a (2004)Raptor 660 but also strongly considering a yfz450(Preditor also on list). I don't mind if your recommend other ATVs.

I will not be riding on any tracks, just trail riding on dirt with semi open trails and mountains. I know these kind of threads get old, but since I am shelling out 5-7 grand I figured I could torture you peeps a bit more [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thx in advance.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

YFZ450!!! It is the best sport quad out there right now. I love that thing, and I think that you would be VERY happy with it. The 2004 raptor is very nice, and you should look at that, but I would say the yfz450. I mean, you can trail ride, race...ANYTHING YOU WANT!!! So, if you have not ridden a yfz450 yet, go ride one, you will love it!

YFZ450 BABY!

-GURU

Old 02-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

While I think that the Pred and YFZ would handle better, I would probably go for the Raptor for the sole fact that Reverse can be a life saver out on the trails. I would have been severly screwed on a few occasions if I didnt have reverse. I couldnt imagine myself owing a trail machine without reverse

Old 02-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
I would probably go for the Raptor for the sole fact that Reverse can be a life saver out on the trails. I would have been severly screwed on a few occasions if I didnt have reverse
That's true and its something you would have to decide for yourself, we can not decide that for you.

So do you need or want reversy?

Old 02-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Jeep trail ratings style. LOL

YFZ powerband is like a 2 stroke and it has a hard seat that will get old fast on long rides - not an awesome trail machine! C

New TRX - torque is great for trails, probably more comfortable, but no reverse, no electric start... ouch. B-

Predator - decent power, no reverse, but it does have E-start and good handling - B

Raptor - good trail machine, doesn't handle the best, but it does have reverse, great torque - B+

Suziki Z400 and clones - good all around power, great handling and comfort, E-start, reverse - what more could you want? - A

That is my opinion!

Old 02-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

kfx/z400, raptor, for the reverse factor

Old 02-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, those are nice quads.....

To tell you the truth, I don't use revesy when I ride with a sport quad in the woods. But thats just me.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: ATVGuruDude
Yes, those are nice quads.....

To tell you the truth, I don't use revesy when I ride with a sport quad in the woods. But thats just me.
me either
but we are among the few

also

I say leave the MX bikes on the track ,,,,,they will just get pounded on the trail (450r,yzf450, 250r, so on)

Old 02-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

I say leave the MX bikes on the track ,,,,,they will just get pounded on the trail (450r,yzf450, 250r, so on)
Sorta the input I want. I mean is the Raptor 660 a safe choice for trails? Will I get beat bad by a buddy who is buying a Preditor? I mean I am paying alot of money and don't want to second guess myself later.....as I know you guys understand.

I have been searching the internet hard for true evaluations of the 'open class' atvs and it is always biased....either by magazines or owners. I want to buy the best 4 wheeler for trails, period. I know the saying 'to each his own' but certainly I am open to people who have more experience than me.

Anyway, keep it coming. All your input is great!!

Old 02-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol

actually, any sportbike will take a pounding on a trail (rocky and such)

the rap and predator are set up a bit different,,,and they have their strong and weak points

the rap is a bit narrower and more torquey (the front end is lighter and easier to power thru the trails)

the pred is a little more stable (wide) and suspension is a bit more plush (heavier)

you will surprise your friend with a rappy (not sure why you think its slower)

However if you are new to atv's they will probably all feel the same

what is your experience with atv's?

Quick Reply: THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??