Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??

Hey Diescarred.... where is Granada Hills? My bro-in-law lives in Hanford and is taking me to Pismo in August when we go visit him. i am excited as it will be my first time in the dunes.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Granada hills is in Socal, fairly close to Glamis and Pismo, only a 4 hour drive to glamis, andless for Pismo. Youll love the sand, to me, there is nothing like it, and nothing that can replace it, im aching to go right now as I type this.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer

yeah, i own a raptor right now, and i found that to make it the ultumite all around machine, just widen it a few inches and it does just fine for me duning, trail riding, and the mx track which i just began clearing the 50ft double on today[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] yaay!...the elkas hold up great and my friends stock does as well, as for the yfz's i love my dads in every way and the suspension on it is much better stock as far as turning goes(havent taken it anywhere but around the driveway and such) and it seems to be a good width for trail riding. my moms banshee sucks at trail riding, mx track, and duning as well compared to our 4 strokes and the banshee even has a roll design front end and elkas in the back along with many engine mods. my uncles v is very torquey, but is restrained by its large mass and the auto takes all the fun out of riding. i have ridden the 400s and would put them along the lines of the rappy and maybe even the yfz with some minor mods

Old 02-08-2004, 03:33 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Just a couple of things...I 'think' I can ride, although it has been 10 yrs or so(I am 35 now) and really fear buying an underpowed quad more than I do buying an overpowered one and pushing to hard.
as long as you respect the power, you will be fine

i see what you mean,,,,,and where you are coming from!

Old 02-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Originally posted by: warrior226
I say if your riding the trails and playing, the Z400 or the raptor would be the best bet, I love my Z for the trails, plenty of power, and the suspension and seat are plush. I wanted a sport quad I could ride all day without feeling I needed a spinal cord replacement when I was through, (I'm 39). The Z fit the bill, I'm sure the raptor does too.
I'm going with Elka, front and rear and steering stabilizer, that should make the rappy more pleasant to ride through the trails. I wouldn't give up the torque and power of the rappy for the trails for anything. It was my first quad and I have no regrets what so ever and I must say it's a great trail quad. Because it is narrow you can get around objects alot easier than most others. With the torque, you can get out of alot of hairy situations with just the blip of the throttle. You can't go wrong with the Raptor for the trails.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Look at this shootout. Shootout. This was the most unbiased shootout I've seen. You get to make the choice.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

That was a very good shootout. Dirt wheels also had a shootout beetween the bombairder, DS, and Raptor. Ill find it and post it on here.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

the last thing i would do would be getting wheel spacers if your trail riding because i always get stuck between trees and then i try to gun and do a wheelie

Old 02-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

The guys that are saying to get a yfz for trails have obviously not ridden one on trails very much if at all. The suspension and seat are waayyyy to hard, it has very little bottom end, and has a powerband like a 2-stroke, so you will be on the clutch alot. It also does not have reverse. I am not dissing the yfz, its a kick@$$ mx quad, but just not at home on the trails. The raptor or z and clones are definetely the best trail machines, they both have gobs of torque on bottom end, plush suspension, have reverse and are comfortable to ride. If you want a more stable ride, go with a z. If you want a little more top end and dont mind having a less stable ride, go with the raptor. just my .02

Old 02-09-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

I had a Rappy (stolen) Great trail quad... the more I think about it, the more I realize I didn't use reverse much.

I'm getting a YFZ this summer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??