Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Swingarm Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swingarm Bearings

whats an easy way to remove swingarm bearings........mine have so much wear it looks like its mated together with the swing arm anyone else had this problem? and how do i get them out

Old 02-08-2004, 04:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have had that happen before, its a pain. There isn't a very easy way to really get them out. The best 2 ways I know of are:

1 Use something like a dremel tool and split the race into two peices. After that it shouldn't be a problem.

2 If you can get one out you can use a socket on an extension to knock the other one out. If you can't get one out use an extension, or preferably a long skinny punch, to try and catch the edge of the race and drive it out that way.

If you end up having to knock it out try and do it as even as posible. You don't want to get it cockeyed in there.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

mine was so bad i had to get a new swing arm. the outer bearing race had become part of the swing arm and the bearing had looked to be melted to the swing arm. check out ebay for a good used swing arm if you need one. my old warrior i did the dremel trick but my banshee's swing arm was to messed up. it was even egg shaped on the end. so even when i got most of the race ground off, the new bearing didnt fit. rockymountain atv has the best prices on new bearings.

Old 02-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I always used to pound them out with a socket and a hammer, but that doesn't work so well. Too much bounce and not enough force to the bearing. So I went to a friend of mine, and he had a press. It's basically a hydraulic jack mounted upside down that can compress things. I braced the swingarm with some blocks of wood underneath it, so the pressure of on the bearing wouldn't tear off the piece of aluminum that the bearing is in. Mine was shot, and I mean really shot. The bearing and all was virtually part of the swingarm, and whatever was left of it was all messed up, probably like yours. I put a socket in the hole where the bearing is, that was big enough to cover the bearing so it would press it out. It came out really easily. I'll never do bearings again without a press. It's so much easier to take them out and put them in. Go to a shop and press them out, you'll be glad you did. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

damn that suckz.....i wish i would of done the mantinance earlier..thanks for the replys

Old 02-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

superkev....how does the press get the bearings out..there not much room to work with in the swingarm

Old 02-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Stand the swingarm up on it's end, then stick a socket from a wrench (metric or SAE, whatever fits better) in the hole where the bearing goes. Then you just pump the jack down onto the socket, pushing the socket and bearing out the other side. I can't make it sound any easier, but go to a shop and find a press, then stand your swingarm up on the side and you'll see what I'm talking about. Just make sure to brace that aluminum piece where the bearing is, because you don't want it snapping off with all the pressure from the jack (mine took about 6000 psi.) My press had a platform where you could rest stuff on.

Well, I'll try to walk you through the process so you can "see" it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I may repeat myself, but I'm trying to make it easy. Ok, say you're looking at the swingarm from the rear as it's on the quad. Say the swingarm bearing on the right is the one you want to replace. Flip the swingarm up to the left, so the left side of the swingarm is on the ground. Now, rest the bottom side of the upper (right) side of the swingarm on the platform of the press (if it has one, which it should.) Your swingarm should have two pieces of aluminum that stick out, where the bearings are, and where the bolt goes through. Those will crack if you put too much pressure on them. So, we have the swingarm resting on it's left side. The upper bearing is the one you want to pop out. But if you lay the bottom of that upper side on the platform, the bearing won't come out because it will end up hitting the platform. So, I got a piece of pipe 3-4" long and big enough to support the aluminum but still allow the bearing fall into. Say the bearing is 3/4", you'll want something around 1" or big enough so you can slide the bearing through and not have it get stuck in the pipe. Put the pipe on the platform, then put the upper (right) side of the swingarm on the pipe. If you put the socket on top of the bearing, then put the jack on that, as you pump the jack, it will come down and push on the socket. The socket will push on the bearing (make sure it's lined up as straight as it can be) and it will pop out the other side into the pipe. This will only work if the platform is NOT sqare tube. My friend's press was made out of I-beam, so the bottom (left) side of the swingarm could be under the platform to allow the upper (right) side of the swingarm to rest on the pipe, which was resting on the platform. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Get that? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Anyways, that's how I did it. I did it that way for my a-arms too. Just make sure you have scrap metal around where you can get different lengths to brace it when taking out the bearings.

To put the new ones in, make sure you line them up. You don't want to try and force a bearing into your a-arm or swingarm crooked. I usually tap mine in with a hammer to get it started. Anyways, you don't need the pipe when pressing in the new bearings. Just rest it on the platform, since the bearing isn't going through the other side.

I hope this helped. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

the bearings are rounded off theres nothing left(the outer part of the bearing)...

Old 02-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Oh. Well then, get out a small flat screwdriver and a hammer, and try to pry the bearing from the wall of the swingarm. If it's that shot, it should bend, because the bearing case isn't that thick.

Good luck.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Take the swingarm to an automotive machine shop, I had my similarly trashed bearings pressed out for $10. Shops usually have experience with PITA bearings and should know the easiest way to get em out. (PITA=Pain in the ****)

Quick Reply: Swingarm Bearings