Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster - Swingarm extension

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster - Swingarm extension

When one adds a 2 inch swingarm extension to a blaster what else has to be modified to work with the new length? Chain, brake lines, is shock still ok? or does a $120 mod turn into a $500 mod?

Old 02-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Range Rover

Well I purchased the 2 inch ext. for my shee and I do know that if your comfortable with running two master links on your chain, and if you don't weight much you should be ok. I didn't like the idea of running two link my my bike plus I weight 270 and the extra 2 inches put alot more leverage on my rear suspension, and when I sat on my bike it felt like the rear of the bike was much lower and the back bottomed out when I just jumped up & down on the footpegs. So if you have a fairly new bike maybe you can put a longer chain but, if the sprockets are worn you will have to replace the chain-sprokets all at once. plus you may have to replace the rear shock spring to a stiffer one.

hope this helps!

JLew[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

You dont have to change the rear shock on the blaster. If your only going with a 2'' extension then you should be alright just adjusting it. BY extending it, it does loosin up the rear shock just a bit. If you go to a extension more then that you might notice a considerable difference in the seat hight. The stock Blaster has a 92 link chain and i would reccomed just buying a new one. Its a iffy thing about running two master links, I personally dont even like the one I HAVE to run with. The stock break lines are Alright and you wont have to change the reaer breaks at all.
When i extended my bike, i notice that the extra length changed the torque/speed of my bike. The sprockets play a big role in how much speed and torguq your bike puts out. When you change the length it changes the ratio. Some people say that they had no problems with this but i noticed that I had to change my sproclets until I found the right ratio for the type of riding I was looking for.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

when you extend your swingarm, does it raise or lower your seat height? and shav you were saying something about the speed and torque being changed, like does it change for the better or worst?

Old 02-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Extending the swing arm will lower the rear end, but with only a 2'' extension you probably wont even notice too much of a difference.
A quad, or dirt bike runs much like a mountian bike does. If you think about a mountain bike, in the bakc of it there is usually about 7 sprockets, starting small, and getting bigger each time. When on the small one it is hard to get moving but once you do you can go pretty fast. The bigger one is the complete opposite. You can get alot of torque and do good wheelies, but you cant go very fast at all. Its the same for a quad. Alot of people adjust there sprockets to what they are looking for. If you do alot of drags then the good speed will help you out, but for other people, like me, i only really do hill climbing so i have my sprockets set up for the most torque. Also, the chain length plays a small role in the torgue/speed of the bike. Like i said before with only 2'' you might not notice the difference. However, If you do then you will need to change around your sprocets to find what it is that you like.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

On my friends 94 Blaster the 2" extension didn’t make much difference in anything. It rides very close to the same there was no noticeable difference in seat height and it didn’t affect torque or top speed. All he had to do is lengthen the chain and the brake cable. He somehow modified the brake cable he had to work but I’m not sure how. I don’t see what’s wrong with an extra master link, unless you’ve got bad bearings or a bent frame/swingarm causing it extra stress. The only machine I’ve ever had that ate up chains at any noticeable rate was a go cart with a 14hp generator motor using a regular go cart chain and sprockets. It had chains come apart all the time but never at the master link.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wannabe1
When one adds a 2 inch swingarm extension to a blaster what else has to be modified to work with the new length? Chain, brake lines, is shock still ok? or does a $120 mod turn into a $500 mod?

Swing arm extensions are a waste of money. Go to the Hollywood Dirt message board and PM a guy named SNorris. Hes a welder/fabricator and he extends your stock swing arm to any length you want it for $100 and the best part about it is that you can still use your stock shock because when he extends the swing arm he removes the shock mount and when done with extending the swing arm he puts the shock mount back in the same place as before. I have one and it works great.

You can get to Hollywood Dirts message board from their main page at www.hollywooddirtproductions.com and again the swing arm guys name is SNorris.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

The criminal makes a good point. Extensions are risky. The best thing to do is to get it made or welded like he was saying, bolt on extensions are a iffy thing.