Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Gun exhaust on raptor

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Gun exhaust on raptor

Does anyone else out there have Big Gun exhaust on their raptor. If so, how do you like it.

Old 02-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

I had one on my wifes Raptor when we first bought it,I was not very impressed with it.When we lined hers up against mine it was no contest.I have a Trinnity pipe on mine and love it,we switched hers over to a CT pipe and it is a very good pipe and now shes happy she can keep up!just my opinion!

Old 02-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Look around for something better. Something along the lines of Sparks, Yoshi, or Alba. They are some of the best pipes you can get.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

well yeah i tink that the big gun is a step lower then companys like trinity and CT but it will give a perferably good sound and probobly give me low end then anything else

Old 02-16-2004, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Alba is garbage. You push them like you own stock.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Punker660
I disagree..........they make good bottom end power..........

Old 02-16-2004, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Yes the Alba's are junk. You might as well get Cobra or DG they pretty much equal Alba

Old 02-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes the Alba's are junk. You might as well get Cobra or DG they pretty much equal Alba

Don't know where you heard that, but the proof is in the performance. Alba has some of the top HP gains, and have a unforgettable sound. The Alba pipe add's the most bottom end power, and add plenty of mid range without losing anything on the top end. Pretty much the same as Sparks, and I guarentee it will blow your DMC out of the water.

And no I didn't say my bike can beat your bike, I just know that a Alba pipe vs. a DMC is not even close. Alba is definetly top of the line when it comes to pipes.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Trailblazer

Good luck finding an honest opinion...most people will push there own setup.....here is MHO...

Big gun is not a big name in Raptor pipes....so you will not see a big support group...and because of this you will not hear that many people pushing the setup. But they do have a great deal of thumper enduro experience...so don’t take the lack of Raptor support as a sign of anything bad or good.

I have one....and I feel that it is designed for the highest flow possible, there is not any restriction. I haven't seen any other pipe on a Raptor with the pulsed exhaust flow this pipe produces. If you stand behind it, it feels like a dragster, you can feel the pulse over 30 feet away and I really think it could blow out a match 15 feet behind it.

But....while this "super" flow may be good for a dragster, it does not produce the most power on a stock Raptor. Most builders report that the stock header pipe on a Raptor flows very close to what the stock head needs and opening up the system as much as a Big Gun system does will reduce the power possibilities across the RPM range.

With My big gun....on my one trip to Glamis I smoked every piped Raptor and DS I raced up olds.....while my elka setup allowed me a major advantage crossing the woops I could lay off and still pass and pull away from all piped 4 strokes there (before 686 and 720 kits) and at china wall I could pull 2nd gear to within a few feet of the top when other piped Raptors couldn't make it to the top. But away from sea level I have had major problems getting the Raptor with the big gun tuned and have even been beaten by stock 400z's in the sand at times. I really feel this is a problem with my overall setup at 9000 feet including the high flow ability of the big gun setup.

With major motor changes (big bore and porting) I feel that the flow possibilities of a Big Gun could really be impressive…but in the end a big gun just doesn't have enough of a following to help one set it up correctly.

The published comparisons that Trash (Dirt) Wheels provided (after I bought the system) put the Big Gun low on power as compared to the CT and others. But the comparison was done with only the changes the pipe maker recommended…and of course the winner recommended the most changes. I would love to see a major rag do an honest comparison where they spend some time tuning each setup for the max power.

Good luck with your choice…..Bill

Old 02-16-2004, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider

White brothers is great too, and Im gonna put my opinion in this, how can you say ALba is junk? It has the most bottom end power ive experienced, more than the Sparks, great mid range, and the top end is still killer. The sound of the pipe will never get out of your head, and the Alba pipe is truly top of the line. IMO, I would prefer Alba over Sparks.

Quick Reply: Big Gun exhaust on raptor