Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anybody else had trouble with Sidewinder Chains ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody else had trouble with Sidewinder Chains ?

I can't remember which (DID or RK) chain I got with my Tucker +4.....but it's working great with minimal stretch. It does have gold colored outer plates. Did you get one from Tucker Fisher? One of the keys too not overstretching a chain is maintaining enough chain slack. With my +4, I like a good 1" 1/4" of slack. If a chain is too tight, as the suspension goes tthrough it's motion, the chain has too stretch too the appropriate length.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Other than specialty brands (I included Sidewinder in there) the ERT 520 has the highest tinsile strenght I can recall for a non o-ring. I know the Sidewinder is quite a bit higher than the ERT, I have just never wanted to part with the $ for 'em.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

I am running Sidewinder's Ti chain and Ti-chromoly sprockets on my 686 and have had no problems whatsoever!!!!!

Old 02-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: selector
I know the Sidewinder is quite a bit higher than the ERT, I have just never wanted to part with the $ for 'em.
If you are cost conscious, why are you running a non-oring chain that lasts 1/3 as long as an oring chain? Just wondering..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. It seems there is no middle ground with the Sidewinder set-ups...you love them or hate them after using them.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I bought the Sidewinder Ti chain and sprockets for my new 727 Raptor. For $300, they'd better hold up!!!!!

How were you guys that busted your Ti chains adjusting slack, more toward loose or tight?

Sitting on the quad with 3/4" TOTAL slack (3/8" up and 3/8" down) is the amount I used for a stock swingarm. For a +2 swingarm, I used 1" TOTAL slack but would like to hear some other ideas before I install the Sidewinder.

Old 02-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
If you are cost conscious, why are you running a non-oring chain that lasts 1/3 as long as an oring chain? Just wondering..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].
With proper maintenance, I've had great luck w/ non o-rings. They're loose, relitively cheap and the ERTs are very strong. I have probably (8) chains spread between my dirt toys for different setups i.e. sand & MX as well as spares.

I ran an ERT all last year on my CRF w/ no issues - other than maintaining them properly. As weak as I am about some issues, for some reason I alway pay attention to chains.

Old 02-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridley
I do KNOW that you lose some RWHP by running an oring chain, thats why none of the pro mx bike guys run them. If you don't believe me, go check it out on the nearest dyno. While IT CAN BE MINIMIZED with proper maintenance, if all out power and the regular "dyno wars" that you see on here is important, a non oring is what you need. We could squeak an extra few HP out of a quad with a well broke in non oring chain and by taking the seals out of the carrier bearings, as compared to a normally set up MX quad. Works well for TT racing, but for real world apps, it's rather useless. If you want to win a dyno war though, it helps as much as porting on some of the newer quads.
I hope all that wasn't in response the the word "loose" in my last post. Dyno wars? Hahahaha. A dyno won't account for my 210lbs ***. I want a chain that works very well, is cost effective and strong. That chain is the D.I.D ERT.

Old 02-22-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Gary,

With the Tucker +4, I was running the chain on the slack side, more like dirtbike style - I think that was a mistake....The Sidewinder guy said I might have been getting slap in the whoops, etc.....didnt hear or feel anything unusual ??? Not extreme, seemed about right but definately not on the tight side...