Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ 4x4?

Think of it this way JustinJones, nearly ALL of the people who buy the Kawasaki Prairie 700 buy it because of how FAST it is!!!! TRUST ME, People would want it and buy it the moment it hit the showroom floors!! Also, look at Yamaha's R1 and R6 Streetbikes, if they wanted to build the YFZ motor into a chassis and make it 4wd, I am almost POSITIVE they could!!

Rid, I also would love to see the 250F motor in a quad frame!! It maybe the replacement for the Blaster after 06!!! Keep your fingers crossed![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default YFZ 4x4?

Originally posted by: TellicoGrizz660
Originally posted by: garyc660RThe Raptor engine is a torque monster....which easily crosses over too the utility ranks. The YFZ on the other hand is a high rpm oriented engine that makes no power down low. Who wants a utility atv that has too be ran wide open all the time too make any power? Never gonna happen.
"No power down low", telling me you are kidding right???? Seems funny how ALL 4 of mine make WAY more than enough, IN FACT, the YZF MX bikes can be ridden to where you really don't have to clutch in a corner like you do the 2 smokers! You have no evidence whatsoever to support this!!! If you have ever ridden a YZF then gotten on a WRF you would see HUGE difference in when and how hard the power comes on, its all in the tuning bro!
Please show me a DYNO graph that indicates a YZF or WRF has even remotely comparable low end TORQUE too a utility engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU are apparantly claiming that a YZF or WRF HAS ENOUGH TORQUE TOO CROSS OVER TOO THE UTILITY RANKS. YOU have no evidence too support your claim!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default YFZ 4x4?

No utility sounds sweet...point well taken. Still, with no wheelspin and very little low end torque a lot of riders would be complaining...but one could adapt too that by riding style. Peace.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ 4x4?

Its crazy how many people are arguing about this. I just pointed out that usually when a company make a pure sport ATV they usually follow it up with a 4x4 sport utility. ( Kawi 700, Grizzly 660) Thats what the Grizz is. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe the yfz engine is not perfect the way it is now ( meant for a sport bike) but I think they could make a few changes to it which would enable it to fit into a 4x4 chassis. This is what they did to make the Grizzly after all. It seems Everybody praises the YFZ. I think it is possible to adapt it and maybe tune it down a bit for a new 450 sport ute machine.

I guess we will have to just wait and see....... Time will tell

Old 02-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Range Rover
Default YFZ 4x4?

I think way too much thought is being put into this it was just a suggestion....!!!!!

Old 02-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ 4x4?

Would it be chain drive to the rear and shaft drive to the front? What about the Kodiak 450. I know it's not the same engine, but could it be put in a sport frame and worked up?

Old 02-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ 4x4?

Only way I could see it work is with some type of AWD system. If it was a 4x4 system it would wear you out riding it on a track. Good concept though. But will it work, I guess only time will tell if we see something like this and how well it works.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ 4x4?

Grizz 76 I feel the same way as you do.

Who knows, it may be made into one of those concept quads. I would sure love to take a rip on one if it was made!

Old 02-26-2004, 01:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YFZ 4x4?

Originally posted by: KodiakOwner
Its crazy how many people are arguing about this. I just pointed out that usually when a company make a pure sport ATV they usually follow it up with a 4x4 sport utility. ( Kawi 700, Grizzly 660) Thats what the Grizz is. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe the yfz engine is not perfect the way it is now ( meant for a sport bike) but I think they could make a few changes to it which would enable it to fit into a 4x4 chassis. This is what they did to make the Grizzly after all. It seems Everybody praises the YFZ. I think it is possible to adapt it and maybe tune it down a bit for a new 450 sport ute machine.

I guess we will have to just wait and see....... Time will tell
This will never happen with the yfz, and here is why....The yfz has almost 12:1 compression, a dohc setup, and a high powerband much like that of a 2 stroke. Great for racing, terrible for a utility. Lack of low end torque and a peak hp high in the rev range would make the engine very ineffective for utility tasks like plowing, mudding, rock/hill climbing, and towing/hauling. Even with a lower comp it would still have the dohc design, and therefore would still have too high of a rev range.

The 660 was full of torque and low end grunt. It was very detuned for the raptor, and then geared even more towards power over speed. The engine was swapped out of the old grizz for the new one with a new design and 60cc dp increase.

The kawi 700 vforce was actually second. It was based upon the prarie 650 twin, and simply tuned more for sport and the displacement increased. Kawi later upped the displacement on the prarie to take advantage of the tooling savings and to make their utility more marketable and powerful. The utility came first in this case.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ 4x4?

ATVBUDDY read the posts in this thread . People arent talking about a Utility atv there talking Sport light weight arm stretching torque steering monster

Kind of like a skinny Wolverine on steroids with it's butt on fire [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]