Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'01 Banshee carb question for the experts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Banshee carb question for the experts

The connection tube is just a little " |___|" shaped tube that connects at the rubber manifolds between the two carbs. Sorry if I am wasting your time with the TORS, but I do believe I am correct.

sayit_fmf - I never said he needed new carbs, I was just suggesting aftermarket ones from person expierience.

-Nick

Old 02-26-2004, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: sAyIt_fmf
How do the plugs look? could not hurt to change them.

Did the bike run good before it was parked? Is the temperature different now than it was when it was parked? You mentioned that it seemed to run better with the choke on....that would tell me you could be lean, which could cause surging as you describe.

Is the air filter clean and well oiled?
The original plugs were black and oily. The bike was run prior to it being parked and he was told by "someone" that the banshees dont idle very well and once you "opened it up" that the problem would clear its self out and it will idle better (that doesn't sound right to me). The Filters are cleaned and freshly oiled. What is the purpose of the connection tube? I really havent got a chance to look at everything very well so I am still learning about the Banshee because most of my mechanical knowledge is on my hotrods and jet skis! Thanks guys!

Old 02-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 87Banshee250sx
Sorry if I am wasting your time with the TORS, but I do believe I am correct.
-Nick

You are not wasting my time at all and I appreciate all ideas that can help me fix this little problem! Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

Old 02-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

The purpose of the tube between the two carbs is just to synchronize any small differences between the two carbs.... I think?

-Nick

Old 02-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Usually when the carb only wants to run with the choke on then its a cloged pilot or main.

Old 02-27-2004, 03:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Shav0
Usually when the carb only wants to run with the choke on then its a cloged pilot or main.
I will yank the carbs off and clean them anyways, hopefully its only some trash causing it to cut out. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah....I did not mean to sound like I was tossing you in other directions...Please take every thing mentioned into account as you begin trouble shooting this problem.

It very well could be tors...I just feel it is unlikely as it's happening at idle not when you are on the throttle.

Please keep us informed as to what you find out.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: sAyIt_fmf
Yeah....I did not mean to sound like I was tossing you in other directions...Please take every thing mentioned into account as you begin trouble shooting this problem.

It very well could be tors...I just feel it is unlikely as it's happening at idle not when you are on the throttle.

Please keep us informed as to what you find out.
Thanks man! I still appreciate the extra info! Just out of curiosity, is there a way to diagnos the TORS to see if it defective?? and where and how much is the TORS bypass kit?? I want to cover all basses before I tear into it this weekend, thanks again for your input and I will keep you all posted when I figure out what is going on with it!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

The original plugs were black and oily. The bike was run prior to it being parked and he was told by "someone" that the banshees dont idle very well and once you "opened it up" that the problem would clear its self out and it will idle better (that doesn't sound right to me).
That is not too far off base....My banshee holds an idle very well...but they do "load up" if sitting at idle for too long. A couple of "hard on the throttle" runs might clean that plug/idle up. You will have to try it.

If...after you ride it for a while...the plugs are still black. Then I would tend to think you are a bit rich.

As far as the TORS removal kit. I believe I purchased mine from motion pro... The kit includes a new cable with carb caps and idle screw kit. The kit requires that you drill and tap the sides of the carbs for the new idle screws. The idle adjustment is currently on the tors for you right near the rear of the gas tank under the seat.

Don't let the idle screw tapping scare you. The directions are very clear and it takes all of 1/2 hour to do the job.

Gary: I know the tors is there for a good reason. But with the proper carb/cable maintenance ...I have yet to have a problem with stuck or sticking slides causing the engine to rev out of control. I did not remove the tors because of a problem. I did it for ease of carb maintenance and looks.

Did you have any luck with the trouble shooting this past weekend audiowizard? I tend not to post much on the weekends...that is my play time..lol

Old 03-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

After you clean them,check the pilot screws and make sure both sides are the same.Too lean on the pilot circuit will cause it to cut out at lowerspeeds.Clean the carbs,check to see if their in sync and set the mixture screrws to 2 turns out.Then slowly turn both sides in equally 1/8 at a time until its running at its best

Quick Reply: '01 Banshee carb question for the experts