Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'01 Banshee carb question for the experts

Old 02-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Banshee carb question for the experts

L/S carb is not running as good as it should! It has been sitting since last October and I just bought it off of my friend. It acts like there is something clogging the carb because the L/S cylinder will drop in and out (firing and not firing). It seem to run better when I engaged the choke a little. What can should I do to correct the problem? I plan on pulling the carbs off to dissassbling and clean them if that is what I need to do so any tips on getting them back in sync and running properly would greatly be appreciated.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

im not a banshee guy but i worked on banshees before and did you check your pistons? also it might be your jetting.... my uncles old banshee got water in it and it crack the carb right open but it was -25 degrees lol ps welcome to the posts -Matt-

Old 02-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

clean out the carbs, because it has been sittin for a long time. and changing your sparkplug would be a good idea.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

ok ok ok ok... u have two options. Ive seen this situation play out a so many times with Yamaha's crappy stock carb setup. Choice 1: get a tors remove kit from somewhere. Assuming you have stock carbs. TORS is known as the throttle over ride system, aka POS. Choice numero dos: Get new carbs. Judging by your signature you dont have any financial problems, so check out ebay for a good new or used set of Keihin PWK's. You can chose from 28mm-34mm or so. I run 28mm PWKs bored out to 29.5mm and they are killer. Id suggest the 28mm ones because yours is stock, and it will only preform better with the PWKs as u add more mods. Either way, the thing to blame in this situation is the TORS, Im 98% sure.

-Nick

Old 02-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Clean the crabs properly first. The TORS is there for a purpose....too save your butt if one of those slides sticks / hangs!

Old 02-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Please explain the TORS system!! and how do I get rid of it!! I am new to the Banshee!! LOL Thanks for all of your replys gentleman. I plan on running fresh 93 octane with some MC1 oil. It is stock internally with the exception of Toomey pipes, K&N filters, and Boyeesen reeds. My friend said it also had a different set of jets installed before he purchased but is unsure of what size.

Old 02-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Ok well I didnt realize you were new to Banshees Audio. The TORS is a little mechanical system that is there so if the throttle gets stuck, and the thumb throttle ISNT depressed, it will turn the quad off. Its really nothing that you're ever going to need unless you have an old sticky throttle cable or defective carb slides. If the quad has been sitting for a while, you should definately switch out plugs to NGK BR8EG (or B8EG, same thing, only its not a resistor plug). The R in the BR8EG doesnt mean racing or anything, some people will tell you that. You should also just disconnect the carbs and clean them. I was just assuming this quad WASN'T sitting for a while. But you can get a TORS removal kit from Vitos. I dont know a link to their site, so search on google or something. But the removal kit isnt horribly expensive and Im pretty sure it will fix the problem. Also there was a thread about this a few days back that explained what happened and a solution to a similar case. Maybe check out all the banshee posts from the past week or so and you'll find it. I hope everything works out!

-Nick

Old 02-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Could also be the connection tube that goes between the carbs. Is it connected?

Old 02-26-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

That does not sound like a tors problem at all...It's been sitting for 4 months...most likely with fuel in the carbs and tank.

Clean the carbs out with fresh gas. Put fresh fuel in the tank and give it another try.

An easy way to tell if your carbs are in sync would be to remove your air filter and look down into the carbs. You should see the slides. There should be a small gap (about the size of a toothpick) when the slides are in the park position. push the throttle a bit and check to see if the slides are moving together and have the same amount of range.

Double check that there is a small black hose connected between the two carbs.

How do the plugs look? could not hurt to change them.

Did the bike run good before it was parked? Is the temperature different now than it was when it was parked? You mentioned that it seemed to run better with the choke on....that would tell me you could be lean, which could cause surging as you describe.

Is the air filter clean and well oiled?

You do not need new carbs..the stock ones are more than sufficient....

Old 02-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Nick! I put some new NGKs but I believe that they are the same #s that you just told me about. The connection tube?? I will have to check in the morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '01 Banshee carb question for the experts