Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ticking noise comming from my raptor motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise comming from my raptor motor

and no it's not the valves, I readjusted the valves to specs and the sounds is still there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

the funny part is it does that sound randomly, it's not like a valve noise where the sound is always there, it's more like (tick.........tick..tick.................tick..... .....................tick) what do you guys think that is. I am thinking it's the cam decompression pin, or hopefully not my JE piston. The bike is as fast as it always has been, and it starts normally what do you guys think I should look for next. I mean so far I looked into valve clearance and that was not it.

any help

thanks

Old 02-28-2004, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

One of my buddies has a 300ex that was making a clicking or clunking noise, and it was because when he adjusted his valves he had forgot to tighten up the bolts on the cam sprocket, so it was wobbling around in there.

Old 02-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

I finally found out the problem. the middle valve's spring broke, and that was what making that noise, the tip of the valve along with the adjuster screw got messed up too. I am not sure what caused it tho. this is with stage II cam along with it's springs. maybe because I did not file that middle intake valve ! !

what you guys think?

Old 02-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

That sucks. My bike makes the same sound when I let it idle in neutral, I was told it was the cam chain and was normal. It has always done it, no problems. I have never tore into my engine, so I am just going to pray that it is the cam chain! Sorry to hear that, what kind of springs were you running?

Old 02-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey xtraptor my raptor starting making that tick noise today and i dont know what it is .it ticks when i let off the gas when im riding also when i have it on neutral and it sounds like if going to turn off when it makes that tick.

thanks

Old 02-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

well if you hear ticking noise you first should check your valve's clearance. If that does not do it, then you might want to open up your valve cover just to check on the vlave springs. I thought that ticking noise was caused by either the cam chain (like what you guys said) or valve clearance, decompression pin, or hopefully not the piston or rod (JE piston or stock rod) I never thought it would be a broken valve springs ! !

what cam are you guys running? I would really doubt a stock cam would break the valve springs, I am running stage II cam with Kibblewhite valve springs.

Old 02-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

im running a webcam on mine

Old 02-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

also i barely got it from the shop because they fixed something and it is working good but that sounds gets me courious