Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No replacement for displacement? HA!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No replacement for displacement? HA!

Originally posted by: FarmStud
Wouldn't it be cool to have a rotary engine in a quad
Yeah, it would be nice. I think I'd even settle for more wankel engines in cars. The rx series has been nice, but the engine could be used for so much more.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't it be cool to have a rotary engine in a quad
You can have one. Just look in a bike bone yard for one and pop it in a frame. If I remember right Suzuki had one in one of there bikes. (Late 70's, early 80's)? It did not last long though, apex seal problems, just like the new RX8.

I personally don't think it would be fun in a quad. Rotary engines put out very little torque. It would feel like a turbine engine.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

HEY....I have a new one for ya. theres no joke like a 4-stroke[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] lol

that should get it stired up

Old 03-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

n2o is not real power. It comes in a bottle and runs out. Its like having super powers that die out and need to be recharged. Its just not the same thing as real power.
If you think nitrous is not real power, you have obviously never had anything (ever) that used it.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Guys guys, its not as simple as more displacement = better. Whats makes more power? a 770 raptor decked out to the max, or a bone stock R6? Which one of them has the most potential at its current displacement? You could cut an R6 motor inhalf and make it a 300, then it would STILL have more potential than a raptor. Technology and starting design matter. And so do revs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Then theres the wankel...... with some development it could be the baddest motor (until they make a CVT strong enough for a turbine)

Old 03-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: docdave22
n2o is not real power. It comes in a bottle and runs out. Its like having super powers that die out and need to be recharged. Its just not the same thing as real power.
If you think nitrous is not real power, you have obviously never had anything (ever) that used it.
Let me clear this up for you. It provides noticeable and great power. That I have personally experienced. The point I was trying to make is that because it can run out, it is not a true addition. This is only my opinion, so if you dont like it, I really dont care.

Dont attack my credibilty. I have ridden machines equipped with all kinds of modifications, n2o included. I've also beaten quads equipped with it. I've also seen people beat others at the beginning of the day. Then they run out of juice and get beaten by 1/2 of the machines they just beat. The best plan is to have a good, built machine first, then worry about the nito.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JakalWarrior
Guys guys, its not as simple as more displacement = better. Whats makes more power? a 770 raptor decked out to the max, or a bone stock R6? Which one of them has the most potential at its current displacement? You could cut an R6 motor inhalf and make it a 300, then it would STILL have more potential than a raptor. Technology and starting design matter. And so do revs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Then theres the wankel...... with some development it could be the baddest motor (until they make a CVT strong enough for a turbine)
and which motor is cheaper to build out of the 2?...the 770.

as for wankels, sure they're great motors but they aren't exactly known for reliability.

Nitrous: great way to get some good, inexpensive power. face it: if you have a decked out small block V8...say around 600bHP, itd be hell to drive on the street compared to a turbo'd I4 or 6 cylinder with nitrous.
WIth n2o and turbo, you have a very calm daily driver, and a mean racing machine for the weekend.

with a hard hitting V8 you have bad gas milage, excessive torque for street use, and a helluva lot less reliability.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd like to put a turbine in a quad but I haven't quite figured out what I'd do about a spark arrester. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

let me just say this...N2O is the worst power adder you can use...unless money is no object for you and you can afford to biuld a motor that will not suffer from structural damage down the road....N2O is like cocaine the speed is great at first but the long term damage can be crucial.

large displacment, lots of air flow, and good fuel with big time compression is always your best bet.....

Old 03-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: killerKXF
let me just say this...N2O is the worst power adder you can use...unless money is no object for you and you can afford to biuld a motor that will not suffer from structural damage down the road....N2O is like cocaine the speed is great at first but the long term damage can be crucial.

large displacment, lots of air flow, and good fuel with big time compression is always your best bet.....
never seen an engien that's set up to run nitrous eh?

If you know how to properly use it, your engine can be sprayed for WELL OVER 75,000 miles...thats gonna last a lot longer than a 12:1 V8, guaranteed.

btw you said lots of air flow:..what do you think nitrous is?...

Quick Reply: No replacement for displacement? HA!