Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Painting Plastics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004 | 12:59 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Painting Plastics?

Has anyone here painted their plastics? Ive heard of people doing it and ive actually seen a banshee that has a pearlescent purple paint, painted on his plastics. How well does it hold up? Ive heard it will crack when the plastics get bent if you say roll it or something. Is this true? How much does it cost? Is it less expensive than just going out and buying new plastics? I have quite a few stress marks in my quad from the owner that had rolled it before I got it and I considered buying new plastics, but then i had heard about painting your plastics.

Old 03-06-2004 | 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is a type of paint that will flex with the fenders and won't crack. But you should probaly look at new plastic's unless you want something totally custom.

Old 03-06-2004 | 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Has anyone here painted their plastics? Yes

How well does it hold up? Good in the dunes but probably not real good for trail riding.

Ive heard it will crack when the plastics get bent if you say roll it or something.Is this true? If it bends to far it will crack.

How much does it cost? That depends if you do it yourself and how fancy you get.

I have quite a few stress marks in my quad from the owner that had rolled it. You can get alot of the stress marks out with a heat gun.

Old 03-06-2004 | 02:02 PM
|
Trailblazer

You can get alot of the stress marks out with a heat gun.

heat gun? Ive never heard of getting them out with a heat gun... how effective is it? have you done it before?

Old 03-06-2004 | 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

You can get alot of the stress marks out with a heat gun.
heat gun? Ive never heard of getting them out with a heat gun... how effective is it? have you done it before?

My plastic has some stress marks too. Mainly from the previous owner(s) I put a couple on there though.
So what do you do? heat up then fender where the mark is then it just disapeers? If this works good im going to do it!

Old 03-06-2004 | 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

yea basically but it might weeken the plastics a bit but who cares? lol i do it all the time and nothing ever happened to my plastics ( cracks or bends) but yea you should get a heat gun for bout 50 bucks---------> did anyone ever use a blow torch and just hold it far away?

Old 03-06-2004 | 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

i did on my warrior

Old 03-06-2004 | 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's good taht people know you can paint plastic and it will flex...but what kind of paint is it and where can you find it?

Old 03-06-2004 | 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

eeeh good ? i dunno hopefully this will give you a bump to find out!!

Old 03-06-2004 | 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

with the heat gun u just heat the plastic (the white looking part, stressed part) to the point where it would melt if i held it there for another 5 min. you should see the white go away, once its all gone take the gun away and its neeewww again.

Quick Reply: Painting Plastics?