Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How does this sound? (686 owners)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this sound? (686 owners)

well would porting make a BIG difference or not that much? also what is polishing? do i have to do it and would it affect anything in the engine?

Old 03-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well would porting make a BIG difference or not that much?
Big difference

also what is polishing?
Just like what it says, like you polish aluminum wheels. Done it the correct places in the head it adds power just like porting.

do i have to do it and would it affect anything in the engine?
Do what? The only thing you " HAVE TO DO" is pay taxes and die, everything else is based on other factors. How much money do you have, how much power do you want to gain, ect...
Everything you do affect something in the engine to some degree.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

The money isn't a problem to me!!!!!! I want a project that i can do myself and when i heard about porting i dont know anything about it and i dont feel like sending it out because its a lot of $$$ u kno? so i dunno i want to be a good mild 686 but do i have to port it and polish it? I know i would be loosing a lot of power if i dont but its harder to do that!!!

Old 03-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Okay i got it (i think) I just called a shop thats about 2 hours away from me and they port and polish!!!!!!!! how sweet is that? The guy said for only port and polish it would be around 300 bucks and to bore out the cylinder its about 70 bucks!!!! Now i think these are ok prices i mean its not craycraft but its also somthing other than not porting it at all... are these prices good? He said that if he does everything which includes taking it apart and putting it back together again that it would be around 2400 to 2500 dollars now this really made me mad considering its sooo cheap like 500 for all the accesories that he needs so its about 2000 for the damn labor!!!! wtf thats rediculous!!! So if i do this set up (below) would it work for me?

-102mm bore
-True ROSS piston 11:1 102mm
-Dealer Port and Polish
-Stage 2 hotcams------> or should i go with stage 1 //// or webcams???????
-Sparks exhaust, Air Filter, Proper Jetting..

NOW:::: i hear i should switch the cam chain to be safe! should i?
i also heard that i should do better valves for some reason? what is the reason and should i? Which valves would i go with?

Is there anything else that i need? such as new bolts, gasketts, or anything of that nature?

Thankyou guys sooo much for all your help im sure these are my last questions. Thanks so much!!! -Matt-

Old 03-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Matt - Have you priced having it done properly? There are a couple of builders that can probably get you more HP for the same price. It doesn't cost much to ship your head and cylinder, less than $40 each way. If you want the whole motor done, it's only about $100 to ship it each way. Your local guy may be good but I'll bet there are 3 or 4 places that are better.

Old 03-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

oh really??? wow i didn't know that.. so i kno about craycraft are there other companies out there that are known as good as them? i heard of trinity i think or are they just for 2 strokes?

Old 03-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

I here bad things about those hot cams. Is it all true? ruin the reliability?

Old 03-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Eceriderjbomb
I here bad things about those hot cams. Is it all true? ruin the reliability?
huh?

Old 03-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

haha i dont even know about the hotcams!! Thats why im asking what should i get?

-Stage 1 or Stage 2 or Webcams????????

anybody?

Eceriderjbomb : you gotta be the coolest kid on these forums i see that you post everyday!!! haha your so funny dude your 14 right? im 16 and my parents just bought me a used 01 rappy lol a good tip is do reall good in school and tell them mom, dad: do you see my grades im getting all A's and they will think twice about getting you a rappy lol good luck to you!!! -Matt-

Old 03-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've never heard anything about Hot Cam's being bad......

But the best thing to do is call Bob Craycraft and talk to him. I thought of 100000 ways to get a 686 together, and in the end I sent most everything to Bob. The crank/rod work, and the entire top end. I will let you guys know very soon how it runs...I think it's going to be a screamer.

Bob is doing a lot of work to mine, and once Falicon finish's up the rod work...it will be ready to put back together.....the time is coming.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Just make sure if you are serious, to call Bob. He will let you know everything you need to know about the 686's.

Quick Reply: How does this sound? (686 owners)