Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Free flowin right carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 04:28 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free flowin right carb

Whenever I turned my gas on, the right overflow tube would start dumping out gas and wouldn't stop until I shut the gas off. What would make it do this? I took the float bowls off, but I am not exactly sure what I am looking for. There is a thin white film of some sort on the main jet, at least I think it is the main jet. I really don't know anything about these carbs, but I am trying to learn. Anyway, would not starting this thing for a while cause a white film to develop like that? Does gas evaporate? It's an 04 Raptor, completely stock. I have never adjusted the floats, mainly because I don't know how, and I am not sure what to do so it doesn't overflow like it does. I think someone said that the pilot jet might need cleaning. Uh, which one is the pilot jet and how do I clean it. Does anyone have a pic of the botom of the carb, and can label what is what in there? I want to learn all I can so I stop asking stupid questions like these ones. Ok, I think that is all I have for now. Thanks for any info you guys have.

2-Knee

Old 03-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

Go buy a service manual it tells you everything you want to do. Its acually your floal needle something is in there spray with carb cleaner or tap with a rubber malet tap soft but be careful.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:52 AM
Range Rover

Where should I spray? Should I lift the needle and spray, is it up the main jet? I am going to look on E-Bay for a manual, I know they are on there, but until I get one you guys are my best source for information. I know this will be explained in the manual, but, what is the third jet lookin thing on the left carb? I am assuming the main is the bigger one in the middle where the needle falls into right? Then the pilot is the smaller one right next to it. But on the left carb there is a third jet, or at least it looks like a jet, and on the right one, there is a place for one, but there is nothing there. What is this thing and what does it do? Thanks for your help.

2-Knee

Old 03-15-2004, 02:56 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

sounds like your float level needs to be adjusted,,,,,,,,or you have a hung needle

do a search on raptor carbs

lot of info on this type of problem already exists

Old 03-15-2004, 05:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't worry about that odd ball jet. I think its part of the choke, but it doesn't matter right now.

If you have the carbs off you might as well do this. Take the float out, VERY carefully, its the phillips head screw that hold the bar running through the floats. With it will come the needle part of the needle and seat valve, this is what stops the flow of gas. Ok once thats out you have a couple of options, 1: blow carb cleaner through the carbs where the gas line hooks up at, 2: same thing but with air, just make sure everything is real clean and has no residue on it. I found that steel wool works real well for cleaning all the metal carb parts, but you have to make sure you get all of the "wool" out.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:24 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for you advice guys. I don't think my floats are off, I have never messed with them. My bike is completely stock, for now. Hopefuly I can get this taken care of b Saturday, I have plans with some friends to go ridin, and they are countin on me. Thanks again for your advice.

2-Knee

Old 03-16-2004, 04:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just because you have never messed with your floats before, don't automatically assume that they are correct. Nobody messes with them on purpose, well nobody makes them wrong on purpose, it just happens sometimes. Do a search on "clear tube method" to find out how to adjust and check your float level.