Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Starting problem on Rappy

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem on Rappy

Finally my starting system crapped up! I first figured it was the battery cause the one I had in there was still the original (2001). So I went and bought a new battery and it still starts slow even when it's charged. Our next idea was the sylinoid, we got one on order and it should be here Monday. I'm unsure if that's the problems though, I gotta ride thursday to sunday and to do that I need a starting system so I'm kind in a hurry to get it together.

Ok, heres what it does. When I try to start it it turns over but very slowly (like the battery is dead). Right now it doesn't even turn over anymore cause it finally went out all the way. It's been doing that slow turn over thing for a while, I should took the hint that something was wrong and got it fixed but now it's to late! I just put a new L&A designs one way in there, could that be causing problems? I went over all my electrical connections and everything looks good. I'm confused about whats goin on...any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks guys!!

Old 03-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had the same problem not long ago. I ended up fixing it by putting in the LA Designs one way, my stocker was trashed. I changed the battery with no luck either. I never gave the sylinoid a thought because I could hear it clicking. I did tear my starter apart and clean it all out real well. That wasn't the problem with mine, but I do know of one guy that cleaning the starter fixed his. Mine was a mess inside. Its a pain to get back together, but I figure it was worth doing since it was free to clean.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

the starter on the o1 rap sucks.everyone i know who has the 01 has changed it. it is one of the things the factory has improved upon

Old 03-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptoric
the starter on the o1 rap sucks.everyone i know who has the 01 has changed it. it is one of the things the factory has improved upon
Its actually not the starter thats bad on them, it is a one way bearing that goes out. He said that he has the updated on already put in his quad.

I wonder if the 04 one ways are really that much better anyway...I wouldn't chance it now.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he said he put an LA designs one way in it. I would guess there was a problem with the install if you just put it in and it hasnt been started since.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptoric
The starter on all year Rappys are the same.

Maybe I should take it apart and clean it, wouldnt hurt I guess. I put that new one way in a couple months ago and prolly got about 5 rides on it...I know thats not the problem. I'll clean my starter and get the new sylinoid in and let you guys know if it worked...if anyone else has any ideas please let me know! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

Is the torque spec. right on the flywheel nut, if it's over-torqued it will bind up the one-way and the gear/surface the one-way rides on...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I was just lookin at the starter on my bike and realized that I've never really screwed with it even when I took my whole bike apart. Whats the easiest way to get that off and out? Also, what do you guys use to clean it? Tooth brush and solvent?

Old 03-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bigdaddy660R
Is the torque spec. right on the flywheel nut, if it's over-torqued it will bind up the one-way and the gear/surface the one-way rides on...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The torque on the nut is fine. It turned over fine not to long ago, this has just been progressivly worse.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

im no mechanic but it sounds kike my buds rap. i know it is the bearing that was the original prob,but after the abuse
it took he replaced the starter hasnt had any probs since

Quick Reply: Starting problem on Rappy