Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ever had a run in with the COPS ......??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever had a run in with the COPS ......??

Originally posted by: FaStLaNe
almost everytime i go out i am chased by cops...the ones around here are so dumb its amazing..one time one of the pigs started following me down the trail and got hung up on a rock with his cruiser! I was laughin so hard and just slowly rode off...
Its sad that the rest of us live knowing that there are those of you out there making a bad name for ATV's. Im sure the those that you ditch really think well of ATV riders and care about you having places to ride.......

Ride responsibly.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

On that note.......

Imagine if this thread went to an anti-ATV organization that is trying to shut down MANY of our riding areas.

This would be good information for them to share about the mentality of those that ride ATVs.

Think with your brains folks. What is the outcome of your irresponsible actions. We are about to lose our Dunes here in Oregon for All of the good riding months.

And think.......WHAT "IF" I GET CAUGHT. Was it worth it....really?"

Some of you really disappoint me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

The rest of you, responsible ones, I hope we can ride forever.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hozed
my buddy had a hammer thrown at him once...
are you friggin serious??

Old 03-24-2004, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: DSXBEAR
[quote]
Originally posted by: FaStLaNe

Its sad that the rest of us live knowing that there are those of you out there making a bad name for ATV's. Im sure the those that you ditch really think well of ATV riders and care about you having places to ride.......

Ride responsibly

I agree but not all of us are guilty.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Never had a problem with the police. Maybe because I've never ran from them. Next time you find your quad for sale by the piece on ebay remember, they probrably ran from the cops too. Just a guess, but how many of you that run have insurance on you quads. How many of you have to pay for your insurance. Thanks for help keeping my cost down.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Thankyou for the last two posts.They were dead on right.

I have seen all too many pursuits end in tragedy.

Most of the time, for the person that decided to run. And more often for someone that was going about their own business and WHAM! Here comes some jerk running from the police.....(because it was "FUNNY") and he wipes out some innocent person or family.

......why did this have to happen to me? Us? My child? My Mommy?"

Im there at the end asking those questions. Why? And its always senseless. "Because I thought it was funny!" ...is pretty high up there.

"Because I didnt want to go to jail". (Well, youre sure going to jail now, arent you!)

and the drunk........(I need to go to work in the morning!)

I have to say this. If you are old enough to manage the controls on a motor vehicle, ATV, Motorcycle or car, then you are old enough to be responsible!!! and stop!

I rarely write citations for ATVs on roadway. Or to ATVs period! It usually becomes a BS session about riding. Because I love to ride!!

If you are being stupid, then a ticket may be one remedy for getting rid of the "stupid" and convincing you to do it the legal and responsible way. Or maybe voluntary compliance works.

If I talk to you about the consequences of whatever you were stopped for, maybe it is "YOUR" job at this point to convice the officer that you will comply and not ride on the road, get your ATV Flag or Permit or wear your helmet if required.

Imagine going to a store and looking at something you want to buy. The salesman walks over and starts talking to you rudely. Like you are an idiot. Sneers at you. What are you going to do? You are going to get mad. Probably talk back at that salesman and tell him where to put his product........

Now, you stop this person for a minor violation. Yes, you are a police officer now. Its your job to tell people when they are in violation of the law. And you walk up to the person you just stopped... and this guy reminds you of how you were treated at the store by that rude salesman. He's cussing at you "What the *#@K do you want, pig?" .....I could go on. You were just going to tell them that their brake lights dont work and you were on your way home.....What are you going to do? Officer?...........

Or the guy runs and when he crashes into two kids walking home from school and they are being taken away.....in a ???????...you ask him why he ran. And he says "Because it was funny!"

You go tell the childrens mom that one child is in a lifeflight helicopter and the other child is in the back of the medical examiners vehicle going to the morgue. What are you going to do? Believe me, this is another thing that I do besides write tickets. And it ISNT something I choose to do because I am on a "POWER TRIP" or going to get the "QUOTA" or because I have a "tough guy" syndrome.

Like I said before. Ride responsible. Treat others the way that you want to be treated.

And if your bike is ever stolen, Please hope that there is an officer willing to look at the VIN number and run every one that he sees without the proper paperwork so you can get your bike back.

Peace.

The Bear

Old 03-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well said DSXBEAR.

I've never once had trouble with the cops.
The ones i've come in contact with have be really nice and i have treated them with respect.

You can't get respect without giving it.

I enjoy being able to ride through my small town.
and i want to keep it that way but theres becoming more and more punk kids with ATV's and i'm worried i'm going to lose my right.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I second the previous posts about how stupid it is to run. Why do it? I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say that most of the runners seem to be in the young crowd.

Peace Officers do a thankless job and rarely get any respect. I commend them for it. Luckily I've always been on the right side of the line, or at least not too far over it, when the law has been around.

On a note about your sig, my uncle once told me, "You might be able to outrun a Ford, but you can't outrun a Motorola."

A big thank you goes out to all of the officers, firefighters, EMTs, medics, etc. that do a thankless job day in and day out to keep us out of danger.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 03-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

A big thank you goes out to all of the officers, firefighters, EMTs, medics, etc. that do a thankless job day in and day out to keep us out of danger
Amen to that

Old 03-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Okay...wait-a-minute. It can be argued...that they should'nt be chasing after you, causing a potentialy dangerous situation. don't get me wrong...my experience historicaly has been a tame/good experience when it involves the law or Rangers on the trails. they check your registartion occasionaly and point out areas to avoid. that sort of thing. theres times when they get serious...

ie: your not registered: depending on your attitude...they may take your machine or make you push it out of the woods. (kinda a funny...but you get the point) or maybe your registered in another state. they'd probably make you register it if you were staying for a length of time (a week or two)...but most likely ask you to be safe and tell you where to go to ride.

ie: crossing streams? it's like a $2K fine in NH...but no-one gets slammed with these...they take down your info and scare you with a fine "next time" while they educate you on what the Grease-oil-gas does to the water... make sense right? sort of.

well thats NH...read my earlier post about Plymouth MA. New England combined is like the size of California. but instead you have a bunch of tiny states.( i think there are people in Texas with ranches the size of R.I. )anyways....even though they're smaller states...they are rich with Beaches, wilderness,Parks and forests. Now MA takes your money to register your quad...But doesn't offer any riding areas...none...and hits you with heavy fines for riding common areas like powerlines. worst yet they will chase you down and use force to serve you your a ticket for tresspassing. even if there are no signs posted. if you plead, "i didn't know...i did'nt see a sign?" they simply say..."you can't ride anywhere! now you know and heres your $250 ticket." well ,why do you allow dealerships to sell quads in MA? why do they take your money for registering it there. i'm not talking about residential areas where people are calling them complaining? these guys make a career out of this.

what a diffrence a stateline makes...the environmental police in my state of NH. hold the same position as these cronies. and as stated above...are out to preserve the wildlife and educate. not generate revenue.

I do not promote running...but i understand circumstances when riders will refuse to pull over and be harrassed for a civil infraction. i would like everyone to stop and think about this. it a civil infraction...not criminal. and if they're determined to chase you down for tresspassing...it could be argued that they're creating a dangerous pursuit. even urban cops know this and have there limititations. don't fool yourselves. i have cops as friends and family....they like the chase...especialy the young ones. thats why they have limits.

anyways...these stories are all interesting and i don't want DSXBear scaring you guys off from sharing your experiences. good or bad. lets here them. your circumstances. reasoning. Don't worry about the tree huggers. they'll find new ways to make our lives miserable. the best thing we can do is organize. whether it be on this site or through your local atv club. but we must speak openly. IMO

and i stand by what i said earlier. i will not be pulling over in MA...because i know they don't want me there and are going to fine me no matter what. Yet, i won't be denied riding in MA. NH? ME? no problem there....i'll pulll over to talk to the rangers, just to shoot the S.

Quick Reply: Ever had a run in with the COPS ......??