Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Do It Yourself Porting Templates ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 04:00 PM
FMF
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do It Yourself Porting Templates ?

Yes you should rebuild your Top End I would go with the Vitos Power Pistions.
And when I do my Port & Polish should I shaved my Head I have the Cool Head with 21 CC Domes?

Old 03-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

When I first did the port work I also shaved the head -.030 and it raised my compression to 140psi then after my adding vito's power pistons the compression went up to 165psi due to the dome shape of the vito's pistons, I can still run on 93 pump gas. Just to give you an idea of how much is safe to shave off.

you will be amazed at what a difference the porting does, I also did a few secret tricks.... first off I port matched the cases to the transfer tunnels that where opened up and I also ported the stock cages. I currently running 380's mains at sea level, with air box and lid still on just modified some for more air flow.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Yes there is a lot more to porting than just opening everything up and matching things.I won't give any secrets though.LOL.I've heard good and bad about the racelogic templates.I'm sure there fine for a weekend rider who isn't worried about a good quality port job,but if you want it done right you'll have to pay the usual price just like I did when I started.There is a reason port jobs cost what they,you're paying for knowledge and experience,not just a name.Just like anything else you get what you pay for.BTW exhaust timing,blowdown and transfer duration are where the power is made,if they don't all work together,the motor WILL NOT rise to your expectations.MY .02

Old 03-24-2004, 11:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FBOMBERS stated an excellent post. The templates are easy for a "do it yourselfer" and will yield some great results. BUT............... They will fall way short of the power that can be produced. The templates are a good idea to help keep the ports as close as possible from one jug to the next to start with, but the calipers and other fine instruments will keep them perfect. Correct transfer timing and blowdown is also big big factor, but the setup will run over $1K to buy, so for most people it is best to send them to someone who has the knowledge and correct tools to them right. My .02[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bubba297
FBOMBERS stated an excellent post. The templates are easy for a "do it yourselfer" and will yield some great results. BUT............... They will fall way short of the power that can be produced. The templates are a good idea to help keep the ports as close as possible from one jug to the next to start with, but the calipers and other fine instruments will keep them perfect. Correct transfer timing and blowdown is also big big factor, but the setup will run over $1K to buy, so for most people it is best to send them to someone who has the knowledge and correct tools to them right. My .02[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2004, 12:49 AM
FMF
Pro Rider

When I had my 94 Blaster I had my Dad port it and he did it with out any Templates and it worked out real good.
But he started doing port & Polish jobs when he was 16 on his Sleds and Dirt Bikes and Quads and now he is in his 50s.
My Banshee has
FMF Fatty Pipes
FMF Power Core s
Vitos Super Stock Pistons
Vitos Degree Key
Pro Flow Kit
Boost Bottle
V-Force Delta 2
Barnett Clutch Kit
Cool Head with 21 cc Domes
6 Filtered Air Vents
28MM Flat Side Carbs
And I do alot Of trail Riding and Draging with my Buddys. And when I have my dad do the Porting I will also have him put Vitos Power Pistons in.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Bubba297

Thanks for your input. You guys where scaring me, so I called Race Logic with some of the issues you talk about. They told me they have many port designs for the Banshee and other models. That the current design was chosen to be the most popular for its large power increase / drivability and reliability. They agreed that there is more that can be done to the motor just as with carbs, pipes, timing, ect…(money, money, money). They also said that the templates are computer designed and manufactured with all areas and durations (exhaust, blowdown and transfers) known and time specific. It does make sense to me that if a template is made with a computer driven cnc machine, how could any freehand setup do better or even as good? I haven’t read a bad post yet from someone that has used them so, I’m still going to try them, I’ll post my results.
Thanks again

Old 03-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

No problem,I get $300 for a dune port just like every other motor builder,or most anyway.So the cost can't be beat.What you have to understand is we don't do this just freehand.There are dial calipers,timing wheels and the allmighty knowledge of getting it done right and satisfying the customer.I wish you the best of luck with your porting,if you need any other help on setups let me know,I'm always glad to help out.