Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Oil brand / Type question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil brand / Type question

Got a question for you guys.
Most people i talk to say don't be switching oil brands a lot, pick one and stick with it.
Is there a reason why you shouldn't be changing oil brands all the time.
or is this one of those i like this brand so that's why i'll only use it in my stuff.
thanks.

Old 03-28-2004, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

they all have standards right on the jug. just use what the owners manual says to use or better. SF is better than SE, etc etc.
swapping back and forth between synthetics and dinosaur based used to be a problem cuz they wouldnt mix.....but why would you swap anyway? Plus synthetics often find oil leaks as their additives are a bit smaller. Just pick a good one and stay with it. It IS a lot of personal preference....

Old 03-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks.
Reason i was asking was the CR250 i picked up this spring the last owner said to use Honda blue 2 stroke oil in it.
But that crap is expensive. But he said it's a good idea to stick with the same brand and I was wondering if there was any reasoning behind that.

I am also going to stop using Yamaha oil in hte raptor it's too spendy.

Old 03-29-2004, 02:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have read quite a few articles on oil for motorcycles and ATV's. The only thing you really have to worry about is if it says "energy conserving" in the round emblem that has the ratings. Energy conserving means that it has friction modifiers that are not meant for wet clutch systems. But saying that, I would not use cheap oil in things that cost so much money.

I used Valvoline DuraBlend in a GS500 street bike that I had and it seemed to work great, with no clutch slipping or foaming.

For the Wolverine I have I'm using Yamalube, but that is just because I was at the dealer buying parts and it was convenient to pick up at the same time.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Adam's right,,, Ive been in this discussion before. according to the book, you shouldnt use anyhting that is '"energy conserving"" as it has fristion modifiers in it that can coat your clutch plates. some ppl have had trouble and som ehavent. I did years ago with a yamaha 100 dirt bike. it ruined the clutch plates.
BUT valvoline and others now make ATV specific oils you can buy at like CSK at a reasonable price... no need to let the dealer bend ya over the desk. just make sure you understand the diff between the TWO oils youll be using on a 2 stroke....one for the gearbox and one for the gas tank. dont mix em up!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
oil for the fuel I use BLENDZALL in my blaster cuz Ive used it for 40 years and never had a problem. PLUS it has a distinctive COOL smell LOL>. I located a lost buddy in a desert race like that one time...I just followed the smell. Plus it can make the eyes of ppl behind you water hehe. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]