Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How did Mud get in my Air Box????

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the day off and I am cleaning my wife's and my ATV's. When looking over my wife's 99 Big Bear I noticed the plug in the bottom of the filter box wasn't clear anymore. I took it off and mud had plugged the hole up. I took the top off and the filter is completely covered in mud and the filter box is full of it. How did this happen, I checked all hoses, none loose. (had it come off before) Is this some kind of safety feature or something??? Thanks, Chris

Old 07-17-2000, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

you rode through mud and it sucked some in. it is not a problem most likely, mine does it all the time. just clean it with gas and let it dry

Old 07-18-2000, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

maybe it came it by the airbox hose by the gas tank. Maybe it got in there when you were washing it.

Old 07-19-2000, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

It depends on what sort of riding you have been doing and where your intake is for your air cleaner!! clean your air box out then remove the filter clean it with warm water and washing machine powder not gasoline it will break down the filter and glue on the seams ( its ok to use gas occasionally but not all the time) then when its dry coat it in air filter oil and put a bit of rubber grease around the lip to seal it from any water good luck from Dave