Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine rear brakes

the rear brakes on my wolverine seem to have no pressure or feeling in them. i think the brake lines need to be bled. anyone else?

Old 04-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Well, where to start?..... Ah, if you are a rear brake monger, your pads more than likely have warn down to the red line. When the pads wear, you will end up using more oil in from the resevoir in order to make up for the piston (the one that pushes one the brake pad itself) extending out further. Now, if you are not a brake monger and your fluid level is still low, it tells me that your caliper is not moving freely and not allowing the pads to move away from the disc properly. I have found that the caliper slide shafts get gunk in them and practically seize. I take mine apart once a year and re-lube.

All that being said, if you have plenty of brake fluid in the resivoir, chances are you just need to bleed your brake line. But you need to ask yourself... why do I need to do so? Do I have a leaking line or some other way for air to get into the system? Look for leaks.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

my rear brakes are hanging up a bit. and arnt releasing well.is it hard to take apart?

Old 04-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Not really, the most difficult thing is getting the rubber boots back into their proper grooves without tearing them. Make sure to study them carefully before beginning to tear it apart in order to remember how to put it back together. Once apart, make sure the sliding pins are clean (I use a buffing wheel) and grit free. Then lube them up with a good waterproof grease. The caliper itself is the hardest to clean (the mating surfaces for the sliding pins). I use a small brush.... a rifle cleaning brush in fact. You can get them at any Wal-Mart or similar store.

Just like with everything else, take your time and be patient. When done properly, upon assembly.. before you apply pressure to the caliper, you should be able to move it back and forth with your hand.

Hope this helps.