Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Usable Torque

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Usable Torque

Here in South West Idaho we have a lot of rocky trails. I notice that all the newer sport
quads, i.e. Raptors, YZFs, Z400s, etc., are geared really tall. To crawl over/through a rock
garden means slipping a lot of clutch, usually creating excess heat and wear.

It seems that two options are available:

1. Change final gear ratios by adding/subracting teeth on the front/rear sprokets.
2. Adding weight to the fly wheel.

My Raptor has a final gear ratio of 3.08 and if I dropped a tooth on the front I'd get 3.33.
Since this is a lot easier than adding teeth to the rear, thus requiring a new chain as well,
and is a whole lot easier than yanking the fly wheel, do you all think that this is enough?
Also, I don't want to add anymore throttle "snap" than it already has. I'd prefer to keep
that right where it is.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Usable Torque

Tough situation you have there. None of the new sport quads are geared for the really tight or rock crawling stuff. Going down on the front sprocket will gear you better, but on the other hand you will have more snap since you are multiplying engine torque more. Adding weight too the flywheel is not a good idea IMO. This will exert more pressure on the rod and all he$$ could break loose. I remember stalling my Raptor all the time when learning too ride it. I geared mine down and after getting accustomed too riding the Rap I wound up gearing mine up too take advantage of the Raptors mile wide torque curve. Thats my preference though. I recommend getting used too your Raptor and only then make the apporpriate changes too suit your riding style.
Gary

Old 04-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer
Default Usable Torque

That's what I was afraid of. Acutally, I'm used to slipping clutches given that I ride a KX125 2-smoker,
but my wife killed her Blaster all the time when going slow, so her new Raptor will probably be much
worse. Best thing for her is to just pin the throttle on the flat stuff. She likes to ride fast when the
conditions are good!

BTW, the banjo bolt cost me a whole $1.89 so my Raptor is up and running again. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Usable Torque

If you do not mind parting with some cash, you could get her an extended swingarm and gear the quad down without worries of her looping the Raptor out. A +4 should do nicely. Glad too hear you are back up and running. Did your stealer actually have that bolt in stock?
Gary

Old 04-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer
Default Usable Torque

No, but the one in the next town did. It's a lot smaller dealership, but they seem to
have a much better parts department. Seems like these guys either focus on sales
or service, but not both. Not sure why, you would think it would be natural for one
to drive the other.